Clear All

• Crocus Field

Fiddly work to harvest Saffron.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crocus.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	429757

That is just fantastic Greg. I reckon it's the perfect angle to take tat shot. Colours are terrific.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

That place looks to have lots of potential Nice curves and complimentary colours.

Maybe crop some off the bottom to lose the labels?
      Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Thanks both of you. It's a snapshot of what they are and I'm happy to leave the labels in. It was raining at the time so it was never going to be a great shot.

It's a test plantation for the production of Saffron. A really labour intensive crop. Very fiddly for a tiny amount of high value product. They don't harvest the flowers, just the stamens in the centre of each bloom.

I'm hoping that subsequent plantings will be more intensive and fill the field. I can then go out in better light and hopefully get a really colorful image.

Comment

Very pleasing shot Greg, something a bit different to the Canola fields usually seen.

From a Landline article published back in 2002, imagine what it's worth now.

"This year the Noonans harvested nearly 120,000 flowers from their own plot to produce half a kilo of saffron.

"Which if a grower was to give me that at the moment, the currently being paid $31.60 a gram or $31,600 a kilo so half of that, around $15,000 for our crop," Mr Noonan said."
          My Gear

Comment

• seaslug
            seaslug commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the input John. I understand it's all hand picked with tweezers so production costs would be high.

Intriguing curves, lovely diagonal and striking colours that pop beautifully against the dark soil.
          If this is "just a snap" I hope you get a chance to go back when its not raining. :-)
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
          Haven't been there, not done that.
          Jo

Comment

• seaslug
            seaslug commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Jo. I'll have to keep an eye on the weather as the flowers don't last long.

Quite eye catching if you happened to be driving past. I would have stopped for a photo too. Love the colours
          Barb
          "If you change the way you look at things ........ the things you look at change"

Comment

great lines in this, well spotted and executed
            Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Working...
            X