Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any help with ID

Took this shot at Lake Barrington (NW Tas) in poor light and with the general purpose point and shoot camera. The IQ isn't great but should be good enough for ID.

Doesn't appear to fit the description of any of our common birds and the closest I can find is a Red Breasted Flycatcher which is not supposed to be in Tasmania.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Redbreast 3 .jpg
Views:	37
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	444212

Going on the colour spread, it could be a Flame Robin. Not 100% though.The head shape, eye and beak lead me to that
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Could be right if this is a very young bird. The red flash is a very short bib, no white on the head above the beak. I'll see if I get anything more definite from the other sites I've posted. If not I'll check the Museum.

Comment

I went through the shots I took of the bird and found this one which shows the coloring better including the white over beak. I'm reasonably sure now that this is in fact a juvenile Flame Robin as you suggested.

Panasonic FZ 300

Comment

• Isac
          Isac commented
          Editing a comment
          Have to agree Greg and they are in Tasmania as well, so all good. The second shot is OK too - out of the sun and shows all the features.

• Isac
          Isac commented
          Editing a comment
          Have to agree Greg and they are in Tasmania as well, so all good. The second shot is OK too - out of the sun and shows all the features.
      Working...
      X