Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My pen photography.

I mentioned in another thread that I was a member of a Penturning forum.
    A lot of my photography comprises taking photos of the pens I make.
    I find the challenge of getting quality product photos almost as difficult ( or more ), as making the pens themselves.

Mackay Cedar Ballpoint.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0143.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	413798

Eels resin cast ballpoint.

Name:	DSC_1962.jpg
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	413799

She-oak pods cast in resin on a rollerball.

Name:	DSC_6077.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	413800

My Wifes Polymer clay on a ballpoint.

Name:	DSC_0655.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	413801

This set was commissioned by a friend. Burl wood, brass, and She-oak pods in resin on stainless steel ballpoint and rollerball.

Name:	DSC_6979.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	413802

Stainless steel ballpoint

Name:	DSC_8936.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	413803
    Cheers, Brad.

Wow! These are beautiful pens. Being from the last century,(or maybe even the one before that!), I like to use a fountain pen and have a dozen or so to choose from.

Do you sell these on Ebay or Gumtree? I bet they are snapped up.

Great photographic work too by the way.
    Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

Comment

Fantastic skills ironwood and the photography does do it justice. Excellent post!!! The nearest I can get to that is a collection of very plain and very odd key rings. (I might post a few one day) but I'll have to wait a fair while after seeing this stunning work.
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

What great pens. So much detailed work. Stunning results. I'm with Sejac. I use a LAMY fountain pen.
        Terry
        An Olympus E620 user

Comment

Originally posted by sejac View Post
          Wow! These are beautiful pens. Being from the last century,(or maybe even the one before that!), I like to use a fountain pen and have a dozen or so to choose from.

Do you sell these on Ebay or Gumtree? I bet they are snapped up.

Great photographic work too by the way.
          Thanks Sejac.
          I make a fountain pen now and then, I will find some photos.
          I usually just make the fountain pens to order, because not many people tend to use them, and they are a personal thing .

I mostly just sell the pens through word of mouth, I have had a few people contact me to buy a pen after seeing them posted on the internet.
          Sometimes my Wife will put a photo on her Facebook, sold a few like that.
          I started to make a website for them once, but gave up because I just didn't have the time to keep going with it.
          Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Originally posted by Isac View Post
            Fantastic skills ironwood and the photography does do it justice. Excellent post!!! The nearest I can get to that is a collection of very plain and very odd key rings. (I might post a few one day) but I'll have to wait a fair while after seeing this stunning work.
            Cheers Isac.
            The pen photography has been an ongoing trial and error thing for quite a few years now, I constantly change my lighting setup to try and improve things.
            I recently changed over to LED's from tungsten lights, mainly to cut down on the heat ( I have in the past melted the odd diffuser )
            The LED's have been another learning curve, I still haven't got it right with the diffusers.
            Soon I will get another burst happening and spend some more time experimenting.

I will keep and eye out for those key rings .
            Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Here is another one of my Wifes Polymer clay creations turned into a ballpoint.
              The lighting setup here was the tungstens , this is about as good as I got those to work, I think this is the last pen photographed with that setup before changing over to leds.

Name:	DSC_0721.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	413816

Name:	DSC_0724.jpg
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	413817

This is after about 4 hours of trial and error with the LED's, I haven't changed the diffusers since I got to this stage , there are still improvements to be made when I get the time and the urge.
              This is a naturally shedded Stimpson Python skin cast in clear resin.

Name:	DSC_1463.jpg
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	413818
              Attached Files
              Cheers, Brad.

Comment

They are simply beautiful ironwood. Do you make the pen from scratch or just add the body section? Have you tried a good quality black velvet as the underside? I've heard it really is a great fabric to stop reflections and give omph to things like jewellery and I would imagine, your lovely pens.
                I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
                "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Isac, these pens you see here , the metal components are bought from different sources, the barrels are the bit that I do.
                  I also make pens from used bullet casings, these require a bit more work in the metal parts.
                  This pen has a parker refill and has a twist transmission to retract and extend the refill.

Name:	DSC_1665.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	413823

When I get a chance to slow down a bit, I am going to start making more pens from scratch. I have all the gear, I just don't have the time.
                  Cheers, Brad.

Comment

I also make pens for couples to use at their weddings.

LED lights

Name:	DSC_1380.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	413825

Tungsten lights

Name:	DSC_9089.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	413826

Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Originally posted by Barkly View Post
                      What great pens. So much detailed work. Stunning results. I'm with Sejac. I use a LAMY fountain pen.
                      Thanks Barkly. Good to hear there are still some fountain pen users about.
                      Do you use it as a daily writer ?
                      Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Originally posted by Isac View Post
                        .......... Have you tried a good quality black velvet as the underside? I've heard it really is a great fabric to stop reflections and give omph to things like jewellery and I would imagine, your lovely pens.
                        I have given the black velvet a go, but it was a serious dust magnet. I do my pen photography in my shed, I know that doesn't help as its prone to having dust about, but the velvet was extra bad. I will see if I can find some examples of my efforts and I will post them.
                        I also tried using an iPad screen for the background, and also some black glass. If I find examples of that I will post also.
                        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Wonderful work Ironwood, thanks for sharing.

Bonus is that you also get to exercise your photography skills.

I'm an ex fountain pen user ...sadly. I used to dabble in the art of calligraphy but my hands are not up to the task these days. Incredibly difficult to do well, but consistency was not my strength, I found it beyond my talents to create a uniform style and despite floundering away for many years I never saw great improvement and finally conceded defeat.

Too late in life now to go back to it though I would dearly love to. Using a good pen was a treat and I owned several.

A lost art now, I think.
                          -----------------------------------------------------
                          Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

• Ironwood
                            Ironwood commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks Mick.
                            Yes writing is a dying art I am afraid, thank goodness there are still some people around that appreciate good quality writing instruments.

Check out this Guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvSyQDu49pI

Quite extraordinary craftsmanship! Beautifully photographed too - Congratulations
                          Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

• Ironwood
                            Ironwood commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks Caralan.

Found some pics of a Fountain pen, this one has Stainless steel components and Mangrove Cedar Barrels, and a medium Schmidt nib.

These photos could do with some more work, I think these could be from when I was experimenting with different lighting setups.

Name:	DSC_0719.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	413887

Name:	DSC_1067.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	413888
                          Cheers, Brad.

Comment