Views:	201
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	407833

Click image for larger version

Name:	Macro light.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	407834

Using underwater flash unit as a slave and can be set to any angle above or around the subject.

It is all about the light and that's an interesting set up. I remember when I first tried macro I made a snoot from a design Mark B had on his web site. Nice sharp photo of the cricket but I think I would have preferred the light coming from the right onto his face.

Comment

That's a really nice result .. do agree the face is a tad dark so could do with that bit extra light but still nice and sharp and clear. I need to make a new snoot and get macro motivation .. what is that around your lens held on with a band ?? and that lighting thingy .. is there a website to read up on that ? I like the idea of it all ..can't afford to buy camera gear for a while so lucky I got my gear when I did lol.

edit: never mind about the flash, just googling and found one or similar .. just a tad expensive lol
      Anna
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
      My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

Originally posted by millicat View Post
        That's a really nice result .. do agree the face is a tad dark so could do with that bit extra light but still nice and sharp and clear. I need to make a new snoot and get macro motivation .. what is that around your lens held on with a band ?? and that lighting thingy .. is there a website to read up on that ? I like the idea of it all ..can't afford to buy camera gear for a while so lucky I got my gear when I did lol.

edit: never mind about the flash, just googling and found one or similar .. just a tad expensive lol
        The diffuser held on by the rubber band is that plastic sponge material they use for packing. Don't know what it's proper name is but it came out of a packet for a a phone.

The cricket was just a test shot really. Took it in a citrus tree and didn't go to any trouble to position it or the flash. I guess if I wanted to make a better job of it I could have taken it out of the tree and inside where it could have been set up with a suitable background.

I'm happy with the flash unit and how that operates as slave primary though.. and yes they are a bit expensive and designed for underwater use. It's an Inon S2000.

Comment

Yep I know the packing stuff you mean ... will keep my eye out for some as it seems to do the trick and not sag like other items I have used.

Still a wicked shot Greg.
          Anna
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
          My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

Working...
          X