Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oz Day fireworks at close range

Best twenty minutes of fun I've had with camera in hand. Talk about an adrenaline rush!

I worked with the two shotfirers setting up the show and asked if I could shoot the gig fully expecting to be told I would have to stay outside the 100m exclusion zone at show time.

To my surprise they were excited to have me on board because after twenty years of doing fireworks they had no images of themselves at work.

Yeeee haaaa!!

Ok, this is the setup. 50% of fireworks are hand fired, 50% fired electronically. The cardboard boxes in foreground are all wired for remote firing but the mortar casings are hand fired one by one. This is where I stood for most of the shots, can only move left or right a couple of metres so a little bit tight for room.

Have processed these on a lappy so would appreciate any feedback especially with regards to noise. They look ok from my end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1267hh-XL.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	418296

I wanted to shoot from the far end but there was a light breeze and they told me I'd be smoked out of existence at that end, was tempted to risk it but settled for the more logical spot. Good call as it turned out.

Name:	IMG_1264hh-XL.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	418297

Bit of light rain about early on so out come the tarps. Water + electricity + explosives, what could possibly go wrong.

Name:	IMG_1263hh-XL.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	418298

At the start I grabbed a couple of shots of the fireworks but didn't lose too much time on that.

Name:	IMG_4644-XL.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	418299

One last frame with the 17-55mm then changed to the 70-200mm and moved close for the action stuff.

Name:	IMG_4648-XL.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	418300

Kaboom! Wish I'd worn a hat 'cos some shrapnel rained down on me at times. Had two firies standing behind me ready for action and they promised to put me out if I caught fire. So that was nice of them.

Name:	IMG_5140-XL.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	418301

Few shots of the shotfirer doing his stuff. ( Have a few more images to share later)

They will be back later in the year and have promised to let me hand fire a couple of the mortars during the next show, can't wait for that!

Name:	IMG_4913-XL.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	418302

Name:	IMG_5037-XL.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	418303

Name:	IMG_5032-XL.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	418304

Name:	IMG_4721-XL.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	418305

-----------------------------------------------------
    Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Pretty spectacular. No noise problems at my end.

Very difficult to show the display from that close but it gives a very different perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Greg.

I gave up on the display pretty quickly, better shots to be had from further away.

Comment

Great shots Mick. Interesting to see them work from close range.
        I don't think you need to worry about noise, they look clean from here.
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Thanks Ironwood.

Comment

Excellent work Mick even to get the gig. Lighting looks OK and noise is no problem either. I feel your rush mate.
            I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
            "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

As others have said looks like zero noise.
              I was wondering how you got the close up of the guy lighting them so crisp. Iso 5000 appears to be the answer. Good gear.
              Last edited by Toddyh; 29-01-2016, 06:43 AM.
              Sony A7rii
              https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

Awesome shots and what a great experience to have and also photograph. Definitely no noise problems in these. Excellent job.

Comment

Originally posted by Isac View Post
                  Excellent work Mick even to get the gig. Lighting looks OK and noise is no problem either. I feel your rush mate.
                  Cheers Isac.

Originally posted by Toddyh View Post
                  As others have said looks like zero noise.
                  I was wondering how you got the close up of the guy lighting them so crisp. Iso 5000 appears to be the answer. Good gear.
                  Combination of factors Todd. The high iso wasn't a major factor, getting the exposure correct was crucial here. Under expose with the Canon 7d and you're in big trouble. I messed up a few (read lots and lots) shots and they are not fixable with any software or magic trick, straight to the recyle bin.

The canon 70-200mm f/4 is a brilliant lens, costs a pretty penny but delivers the goods. No substitute for good glass.

Experience with keeping a longer lens steady, I'm far more comfortable with a long lens than a short one.

Neat Image software used for noise reduction, bought it yesterday specifically for these images and it works a treat. There was some noise in the darker areas but Neat Image smashed it out of the park without the softening that the noise reduction in photoshop produces. Really good value for $125 imho and made a huge difference.

Originally posted by P Plates View Post
                  Awesome shots and what a great experience to have and also photograph. Definitely no noise problems in these. Excellent job.
                  Thanks Gabby. It was a hoot!

Comment

Good stuff Mick. Always nice to see what goes into making awesome photos like that.
                    Sony A7rii
                    https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

nothing like back stage stuff for you.......... good stuff
                      cheers
                      Rod
                      Wacko-Ocker Photography

I shoot with a camera until I get paid to say other wise

www.wacko-ocker.smugmug.com

Comment

Cheers wacko and Todd.

Comment

What a wonderful experience! Loved your write up of the event and the images are terrific from my POV.
                          I can just imagine how challenging it would be with all that blinding light while still trying to get the people in the dark!
                          Would/did they let you use flash?

It just goes to show, asking can open doors to all sorts of things.
                          I sure hope they are grateful for having your talents on board Mick.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
                          Haven't been there, not done that.
                          Jo

Comment

Thanks Jo.

It's rare for me to use flash, I prefer to go with the light that's available and try and find a way to get the shot.

Doesn't make any sense to me, it's pretty silly really, and I don't understand why I have this 'thing' about natural or available light but I gave up thinking about it a long time ago and now I just go with the flow.

It's not an artistic decision or creative arty farty thing, it's just, well... a 'thing'.

And yes, if you don't ask...

Comment

Working...
                            X