Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photoshop: Double Digital Matts

Double digital matts.

I was ask to explain how I make my digitals mat some time ago, so this is how I do it.

You will need an understanding of layers to do this and CS3 is my weapon of choice.

For this exercise we are going to finish with a 16 x 20 inch photo to be framed

Open a new white page and set the size to 16 x 20 inches

Duplicate that layer and call it matt. (Double click on the layer name)

Rename the bottom layer Base

Open your image which will need to be resized or cropped to 12 x 16 inches for this exercise.

Drag the photo image onto the new blank page. TIP: the image will centre itself if you hold down the shift key as you drag the image

Open the grid lines (Ctrl+) or look under view. At this point make sure your rulers are inches by checking >>edit>>preferences>> units and rules. While you are there set the grid to 1 per inch and subdivision 4. Grid colours can also be set there to suit your image

With grid lines active centre the image on the blank white page.

With matt layer active [in blue] use the rectangle marquee tool to mark out the mat opening open. For this we are of an inch outside the photo. This can be modified by going to select>>modify>>expand or contract

Hit the delete button.

Turn off grid (Ctrl+) if you wish

Move the matt layer above the photo layer and duplicate the matt layer calling it top layer. Turn the layer off. (This layer can be used later to add colours. But for now its not needed)

Click the matt layer to make it active.

Go layer>>layer style; or double on the layer image in the layer pallet to open the option window for layer styles

Down the button click on stroke to make active

Set colour to black and 8 px wide. (this will always vary depending photo size)

Now click on the drop shadow and adjust to suit (image 2)Note: soft and light is best.

Close the layer style pallet

Optional: double click on the photo layer image and add a stoke (any colour that suit and maybe a light shadow

You can leave it there; or add some colour to the matts as set out below

BTW: If the outside (top) matt is white it will pay to add a black stroke line so the lab knows where to trim the photo.

Simon
    Olympus OM-D, Oly 14-42mm f3.5-5.6, Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4
    Flickr - Your Melbourne Family Portrait Photographer

LO L I had forgotten about that one.
    Cheers for now, IanB.
    Photos by Ian Browne on Facebook

Comment

Working...
    X