Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Guitarist

This is my brothers hands playing the guitar I have never done anything like this before all comments are welcome please I also tried out some motion blur in number 2 let me know what your thoughts are please

Click image for larger version

Name:	guitar player.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	328450

Name:	guitar player @.jpg
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	328451

Name:	guitar player 1.jpg
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	328452
    All Experts at anything were once beginners

MWAH Sandy

maybe I put this in the wrong place I wonder where the right place should have been ?

MWAH Sandy

Comment

It's an ok place Nikki. (or B&W)

And very evocative photos they are.

(Did you see eM's post on not just focusing on the face?)

I prefer the B&W treatment in #2 & #3, but it's nice you included a colour version in #1.

After seeing your earlier struggles with ROT and questions about diagonals etc, I'm very impressed with these quite different examples.

If you wanted to slavishly follow the ROT rule, then some cropping may be in order for #1 - but one also needs to consider negative space to allow the music somewhere to float?

#2 here again I'm tempted to suggest cropping out the bottom and LHS so the hands and strings become the focus. Lovely diagonals and tones and sense of movement going on here - well done to think of finger blur and sharp strings. I really love this one. (did you add sepia?)

#3 has a great triangle and diag (and lots of neg space). The top fingers I feel are a bit close to the frame and the jumper is a bit dominant. Maybe a bare arm and a slight change of viewpoint/framing to concentrate on the fingers and strings if you get a chance to reshoot?

A simple, white, hairline frame may make it work better too (some people here use a black background/skin and the thick white frame may be too much for the subject - but I'm just being picky now

I think you should be very happy with these and I feel you are following your heart and 'seeing", rather than concentrating too much on the 'rules'.

As Charles suggested ..

Well done
      Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Sandy, these are absolutely terrific shots. Just beautiful.

And listen to what Alan says. He really knows his stuff. Naturally, I agree with all of his comments!
        Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

Comment

Alan I thank you with the bottom of my heart. Your CC meant so much to me you put time and effort into this, When I put in my heart and sole and my passion this was not a thought out set of photos by any means I do have other ideas I want to try with Ray for a portraits including Ray (my brother) and his love for his guitar and put both passion's together. This is the result of going to Ray's house to show off my work Ive done so far a coffee and a chat when he picked up his guitar to show me a new style he had learnt and some new songs as well. In him doing so something happen to me I picked up my camera and started shooting when you said about the sleeves that was one of my first thoughts as soon as I seen the photos on my computer so I thank you for adding that as your thoughts go with mine which shows me that I am starting to see good and bad in my own work so I am learning and yes I can re-shoot these.

You asked me if I used sepia no I did not use sepia I used topaz B&W. You also asked me if I had seen Ems post yes I had and he inspired me with his work I don't think I had that on my mind when taking these shots but however the information was there so something in my subconscious may have been what guided me.You also said about ROT I don't believe that every photo has to have ROT in it yes there is a time and place for it but did have diagonals in my mind from what Ive been taught that is a composition rule for my assignment I have and am happy with the ROT photo I have I wanted to be more creative as well and yes my steps are diagonal and they would do but I am also thinking this is more creative piece of work IMO and would like your opinion for adding this # 3 or maybe # 2 instead of the stairs ? #3 has a thin white boarder around it but does not show up on the site you are more then welcome to put in your program to have a look I was disappointed it did not show up on the white background on the forum however that is the way it goes. Anyway Alan thank you so much for your good kind information and advice

MWAH Sandy

Comment

Sandy, these are absolutely terrific shots. Just beautiful.

And listen to what Alan says. He really knows his stuff. Naturally, I agree with all of his comments!
            Thank you so much Charles you have been a big help to me through out and the fact that you agree with Alan means a lot to me no more need to be said I am very happy to hear you say these are absolutely terrific shots means a lot to me I have never had words like that said to about my photos thanks for taking the time to look and your warm and kind thoughts

MWAH Sandy

Comment

Alan has pretty well summed it up Nikkie. I will say to is good to see you branching out into other areas. I quite like them and think you have done a pretty darn good job in the lighting.
              Lloyd
              Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
              Flickr
              Smugmug

Comment

Thank you Lloyd for your warm and kind comments and thank you for looking as well. As I am just learning I am still experimenting with different things and styles still trying to find my nitche so this is way different from anything I have ever done before and like you said branching out and that is what learning is all about trying and experimenting I can hardly wait to show Ray thanks again

MWAH Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Nikkie View Post
                  Alan I thank you with the bottom of my heart.
                  Credit where credit is due Sandy. Your willingness to ask, listen, experiment and learn from those experiences is to be commended. These traits and your enthusiasm and love of the craft will stand you in good stead and provide a lifetime of enjoyment.

[/QUOTE] would like your opinion for adding this # 3 or maybe # 2 instead of the stairs ? [/QUOTE]

IMHO #2 is a far superior image - it has the diag of the strings and the complementary diag of the hand, fingers and veins and the angle of the string base bar (whatever you call it ) which make for a very pleasing comp to me, but it also has mood and feeling, which the stairs lack. Others may disagree of course.

If you get a D minus blame me and find another teacher.

You may want to consider a slight crop - just a suggestion - your pic after all

Good luck

Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Nikkie View Post
                    maybe I put this in the wrong place I wonder where the right place should have been ?
                    Some threads just pass us all by so never be afraid to politely bump (as you have done so well) back to the front page.

#2 and 3 look a little dark Nikkie but apart from that they are really good photos with lots of thought going into them. I really feel we are going to see some interesting photos from you in the future. Just don't worry too much about the "rules" of photography

Comment

Alan yes I think a little crop will be much better for this and I agree with you the steps are just diagonal I feel this is more creative and using the diagonal comparison as well but getting feedback from somebody other then myself is always a good thing your advice and help is always appreciated thanks again have a good night

MWAH Sandy

Comment

Lovely images Nikkie. I especially like the second one and Alan's crop gives it a lift.

Very creative and beautiful image. One of your best.
                        -----------------------------------------------------
                        Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

Thank you so very much Mick for taking the time to look and to comment your kind and warm comments mean so much to me. Ray's guitar music really set the mood I was feel the most relaxed I have ever felt I felt like the camera was a part of me if that makes any sense at all the passion and creativity juices were flowing I had never had that feel before when I was shooting this is my first try at doing this I guess I can only improve from here. Yes Alan's crop does it that special touch to it if he was my teacher I am sure I would pass with flying colours

Now let me see I have ROT under control that box has been ticked off I have Diagonals under control that box has been ticked off I have geometric under control and the box is almost ticked just have to go back and reshoot that again try to get better if I find the lady to gain permission to jump over the rope so I can get in a better position. I just have to do my contrast and leading lines contrast I think I have under control leading lines I have a few ideas for that so its back to annoy you good people a little more yet

MWAH Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Lost View Post
                            Some threads just pass us all by so never be afraid to politely bump (as you have done so well) back to the front page.

#2 and 3 look a little dark Nikkie but apart from that they are really good photos with lots of thought going into them. I really feel we are going to see some interesting photos from you in the future. Just don't worry too much about the "rules" of photography
                            Lost I am sorry mate I did not see you there its not like me not to reply to a reply I would like to say a big thank you for your kind and honest thoughts and comments I am very sorry I was not ignoring you at all have a good day

MWAH Sandy

Comment

Ok I am sorry its taken me so long spent most of my day in bed today not well but not sick either but just not right... I thought I would show you my crop and ive added the original in colour thanks to Alan for showing how its done

Name:	not cropped.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	316746

Name:	diag 11 a.jpg
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	316747

MWAH Sandy