No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G'day from southwest W.A.

Hi, just joined your forum

My name's Daniel from a small town about 45 mins drive south of Bunbury (2 1/2hrs S of Perth).
    I work on the family farm and help out at my partner's B&B, we're picking pink laddies at the moment, things are a bit up and down at the B&B with covid and all.

I've been playing with photography for awhile now on and off (macro mostly, 10+ years) and have the urge to get back into it.
    Probably not the best time for macro with the changing of the seasons

I've recently tried some of the Topaz programs, De-noise AI and Sharpen AI. Both great in their own right, just not sure if I should bite the bullet and cough up the coin for them.
    I take low ISO at small aperture, flash macros, so not that much noise to start with but sometimes not tack sharp either.
    I'm still using trusty old Photoshop Elements 7 for all my processing, it does the job and when comparing between an image from PSE 7 and one from Topaz I can barely notice the difference (bar the silly water mark).
    I'm using an 18MP 7D so maybe with a higher rez camera the difference would be more noticeable?

Anyways, not to get too caught up on the tech stuff, just saying hi really

Cheers, Daniel.

Welcome to our Forum Daniel. Sounds like you're somewhere near Donnybrook. I used to live in Manjimup quite a few years ago and went to Donnybrook many times. A dear friend of mine who worked in Manjimup for the Ag Dept was one of the creators of the Pink Lady apples and they are one of the best on the planet. Good to see you getting your vibe back for photography. I have the 7D and recently upgraded to the 7Dii. I'm a fan of macro but not that good at it so I (and other members) will be looking forward to your contribution with comments, advice, tips and images. We all hope you hang around here for a while and enjoy your stay. I am probably more of a Photoshop editor than a photographer but it's all fun. Don't hesitate to give us your opinion and critique on members posts and images and I'm sure the members will reciprocate.
    To post a new thread and upload some of your images, the top menu is a good place to start. What computer system do you have? - this helps if members want to give you some help at any stage. Enjoy!
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Welcome from the other side of the country Daniel. I’m in the greater Brisbane area.

I look forward to seeing some of your work, and please don’t hesitate to comment on others’ images.

Alan
      Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

G'day Daniel

Another WELCOME mate!! ..... also from a NSW bloke currently meandering around Qld

I also use PSE, in my case v8 ~ I did an upgrade to 12 some years back and the screen layout and menus had altered and it was really awful to use ~ so I dumped it and went back to v8... a much better screen layout and has all the stuff I need for the minor editing that I do. I ain't like Isac who loves to use PS for "heaps of fiddling", (but gets fabulous results)

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Isac View Post
          Welcome to our Forum Daniel. Sounds like you're somewhere near Donnybrook. I used to live in Manjimup quite a few years ago and went to Donnybrook many times. A dear friend of mine who worked in Manjimup for the Ag Dept was one of the creators of the Pink Lady apples and they are one of the best on the planet. Good to see you getting your vibe back for photography. I have the 7D and recently upgraded to the 7Dii. I'm a fan of macro but not that good at it so I (and other members) will be looking forward to your contribution with comments, advice, tips and images. We all hope you hang around here for a while and enjoy your stay. I am probably more of a Photoshop editor than a photographer but it's all fun. Don't hesitate to give us your opinion and critique on members posts and images and I'm sure the members will reciprocate.
          To post a new thread and upload some of your images, the top menu is a good place to start. What computer system do you have? - this helps if members want to give you some help at any stage. Enjoy!
          Yeah mate, next town down. That wasn't at Hawterville that they created the pink lady was it? Can't remember the stories they used to tell me.
          I wouldn't mind trying the 7Dii but don't think I need it
          I'm using win 10 on a ten year old computer ( i5 750 OC'ed)
          Thanks for the welcome Isac.

Originally posted by wigz View Post
          Welcome from the other side of the country Daniel. I’m in the greater Brisbane area.

I look forward to seeing some of your work, and please don’t hesitate to comment on others’ images.

Alan
          Thanks Alan, Bris-Vegas would be a great place for macro. Warmer than here at least.

Originally posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
          G'day Daniel

Another WELCOME mate!! ..... also from a NSW bloke currently meandering around Qld

I also use PSE, in my case v8 ~ I did an upgrade to 12 some years back and the screen layout and menus had altered and it was really awful to use ~ so I dumped it and went back to v8... a much better screen layout and has all the stuff I need for the minor editing that I do. I ain't like Isac who loves to use PS for "heaps of fiddling", (but gets fabulous results)

Phil
          Cheers Phil. PSE 7 came with my wacom tablet that I never use. I would only 'need' to upgrade if I got a new camera as the version of ACR I have is the last one supported by PSE 7 and the 7D is about the newest camera that version supports. The topaz plugins work fine with PSE 7, which was a real surprise.

Comment

• Isac
            Isac commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Daniel. Nothing wrong with the 7D mate, great camera. By far the best in the APS-C camera class when it came out. I had the i5 for about 9 years and only upgraded in January to a beefier model. My wife gets all the hand-me-downs so I have to tinker with that sometimes. It was John Cripps from the W.A. Department of Agriculture that produced the Pink Lady apples and my friend worked with him during that process. Quite exciting that a local product is shipped worldwide. Again welcome and we all look forward to some great macro shots. Cheers.
        Working...
        X