Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A newbie from Brisbane's Bayside

I am originally from South Africa, but have lived in Australia since 1994.

My interest in photography started when my grandmother gave me one of these as a sixth birthday present:

Kodak 127 'Brownie' by Laurence Griffiths, on Flickr

That camera was followed by a Kodak Instamatic 33, which served me through University (Civil Engineering) and National Service days. Then, while I was working in the then Rhodesia in 1980 and watching it turn into Zimbabwe, I realised that I was living through history and should really be documenting what I saw photographically. I scraped together enough money to buy myself my first SLR. - An Olympus OM2N. While working in Zimbabwe and even after my return to South Africa, I travelled all over Southern Africa extensively. - Always with my OM-2N in tow.

Victoria Falls by Laurence Griffiths, on Flickr

Troutbeck Inn by Laurence Griffiths, on Flickr

Initially, I used KodakColor 100 colour negative film, but I started using Kodachrome 64 and Kodachrome 25 slide film in the mid-1980s as, in my opinion, printed photographs are pictures, while viewing a slide is like looking through a window. This decision proved to be inspired as, in January 1985, our house was flooded and most of my photographs and negatives were destroyed...... Except for my slides, which were all in trays on top of a cupboard.

In 1994, while working in New Zealand, I traded in the old Olympus OM2N for a Nikon F50D. In hindsight, this was a mistake. - Not that there was anything wrong with the Nikon, it was just that I felt a bit of a traitor disposing of my old travelling companion. I have never sold any camera of mine since that date. Old ones are now retired to my Old Camera Museum in my lounge room.

I could see that the days of film photography were coming to an end and so I decided that, when a digital camera with at least 3 megapixel resolution became available for under AUD 1,000 I would get one.

In late 2005, I bought this:

P1070106 by Laurence Griffiths, on Flickr

Then followed an Olympus E-300 and an Olympus E-3. Then, when Olympus chose to discontinue their 4/3 DSLR cameras, thus rendering all of my great 4/3 lenses unusable (or so I thought), I "spat the dummy" and bought a Canon EOS 6D together with a fair variety of "Red Ring" lenses. Then, when Olympus released the OM-D E-M1, with phase detection autofocus, I bought one together with an Olympus MMF-3 adaptor so that I could use my old 4/3 lenses effectively on my new camera.

Here is what an Olympus OM-D E-M1 looks like when paired with a Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 APO DG (BIGMA) lens through an MMF-3 adaptor:

Olympus OM-D E-M1 with Sigma 50-500mm (BIGMA) lens by Laurence Griffiths, on Flickr

I kept the Canon for use when lighting conditions were "challenging", but started using the E-M1 more and more outdoors when the lighting conditions were good. The Olympus mirrorless cameras and their compact, light lenses were just so much easier to carry around.

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 was replaced by an E-M1 Mk II, which was then replaced by an E-M1 Mk III, which was then replaced by an OM System (Olympus) OM-1 in March 2022.

I am now on the verge of retirement and will probably use the time I have left to travel all over Australia. I have already travelled extensively, but there is so much more to see. I am looking for suggestions on where to go next.

Welcome to our rapidly growing mate. I see that you have a Sigma Bigma, one of the other members, Isac also has a bigma so I'm sure you will have some stories to share.
    My Gear

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm a huge Sigma fan and have the 150-600 permanently bolted to the 7D Mark II. I have recently added a R6 body to my collection and wish Sigma would pull their finger out and release lenses for the Canon mirrorless range of bodies.

• griffljg
      griffljg commented
      Editing a comment
      Isn't there an adaptor available to attach EF mount lenses to the new RF mount?

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes there is and I have one as it was included with the body when I purchased it.

Welcome to the forum. Good to see someone else from Brisbane (greater Brisbane anyway - I'm in Logan City)
    Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

G'day Laurence

Another Welcome Aboard mate !!
      I am sure that we'll see and enjoy your images from abroad as you settle in here,
      and as for travelling this wide-brown-land, yep mate, it's what we do for much of every year via our Sunliner motorhome.

Phil

Comment

Welcome Laurence. Great to have you here. We're sure you will enjoy what we have to offer.
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
        "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Hi Laurence

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes all.

Comment

Working...
            X