X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move an object using a mask.

Move an object in Photoshop
    =======================
    I've been given permission by Grumpy John to use his fabulous image of the lone pelican, to do a Photoshop tutorial on:
    "How to move an object (in this case, the pelican) from one position to another without affecting the background".

To start off, duplicate the Background layer (CTRL/Command + J) and rename it to BG.
    (To rename a layer, double-click on the layer name and enter the new name).
    IMG-1
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	478500
    Next, we need to Select and Isolate the pelican on the BG layer and place it on its own layer.
    There are many ways to select objects and below is an easy method for this image using a mask.

With the BG layer selected in the layers panel:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Select the Quick Selection tool (W) and on the top properties menu bar, click Select & Mask...
    2. In the Select & Mask Properties panel in View options, select Overlay (or press V), this should be 50% RED by default.
    3. On the top properties menu bar, click Select Subject and the pelican will be selected showing marching ants.
    4. Under Edge Detection, move the Radius Slider to the right until all background has been removed, leaving a good selection of the pelican.
    5. In the Select & Mask Properties panel under Output Settings, select Output To New Layer with Layer Mask and click OK.
    6. Rename the BG copy layer to PELICAN.
    7. Make Invisble the PELICAN layer and Make Visible the BG layer.
    IMG-2

Name:	IMG-2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	478498
    Next we have to remove the pelican and replace it with a similar background using CONTENT-AWARE.
    To do this we have to re-select the pelican and replace it with similar pixels to the surrounding background.
    To do this:
    --------------
    1. Hold CTRL/Command and click on the PELICAN mask in the Layers Panel, This selects the pelican.
    2. The selection has to be expanded so select the BG layer and on the top menu, click: Select > Modify > Expand... and enter 6 pixels then click OK.
    3. With the marching ants visible, select the BG layer and on the top menu click: Edit > Fill (Shift + F5) and apply the settings below:
    IMG-3

Name:	IMG-3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	478497
    4. Press CTRL/Command + D to deselect the marching ants and the pelican should now be gone and replaced with clouds/sky.

Now the fun stuff! repositioning the pelican:
    Click the MOVE TOOL (V), and with the PELICAN layer selected, click and hold the pelican on the image and move it to anywhere you please.

You can even make it bigger, add a curves layer to lighten it or flip it to make it fly left to right.
    IMG-4

Name:	IMG-4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	478499
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear

I dusted once and it came back. I'm not falling for that again!
    A wise man told his wife "NOTHING" because he was a wise man!

I will try to remember this. Thanks Isac.
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Comment

Great tut mate, I will put this in to practice later this evening.
      My Gear

Comment

Thanks Hans and John. The key to success with this method is a really well defined mask. Always zoom in close to get it right. I hope it works for you John.
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear

I dusted once and it came back. I'm not falling for that again!
        A wise man told his wife "NOTHING" because he was a wise man!

Comment

Working...
        X