X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Enhancement

Make landscapes pop in Photoshop

Introduction:

More and more photographers are nowadays using software to "enhance" their images to create works of art. Some like it, some don't, I love it, you may not.
    For those interested, below is a way of making landscapes "pop" and the method used is quick and easy and fully adjustable.
    Many thanks to wigz for allowing the use of his image for me to create this tutorial, the result of which may or may not be to everyone's liking
    Most landscape images are divided into Foreground, Middle ground and Background. We'll work on 2 parts, trying to develop the image as we saw it, or as we would like it to be.
    An important thing to remember is that our eyes work differently from a camera. The eyes have a much larger dynamic range. EXPLAINED HERE

Enhance the Foreground:

We need to make it look like it was. Our eyes can see into shadows and eyes also dim the brightest parts of the scene to see detail, so the foreground will get some shadows lift and the sky
    will get detail added.
    1. Copy the Background Layer Ctrl/Cmd + J and name it "Shadows".
    2. On the Shadows layer, Right-Click and select "Convert to Smart Object". This allows for altering any adjustments at any time.
    3. On the Photoshop top menu, click: Image > Adjustments > Shadows/Highlights... and add the adjustments below (you can change these if you wish) then Click "OK".
    Click image for larger version  Name:	img-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	480929
    Tip: If you invert the mask Ctr/Cmd + I - making it Black, you can paint with White using a soft, LOW FLOW brush (10-20%) to lift the shadows on any part of the image.

Now add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer above the "Shadows" layer and name it "HS". Add +15 to the Saturation or whatever you wish.
    Next select the "Shadows" and "HS" layers and Press Ctrl/Cmd + G to place the layers into a GROUP and name that group "SHADOWS". Close the group and turn it off.

Enhance the Sky:

1. Select the sky using the Quick Selection Tool and with the sky selected, add a new "Solid Color..." adjustment layer.
    2. Select a colour that would match the darkest part of the sky/clouds. I selected #3a4f66.
    3. Rename "Color Fill 1" to "Sky" and move that layer to the top of the layers panel by dragging it upwards or using the shortcut: Ctrl/Cmd + Shift + ]. Set the Sky layer mode to "Multiply".
    4. Right-Click on the Sky layer and select "Blending Options...". This can also be done by Double-Clicking on the Sky layer.
    5. In the "Blend If:" box, hold Alt/Opt and on the "Underlying Layer", click the White slider to split it. Grab the Left split slider and drag it to the Left to around 150.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	img-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.4 KB ID:	480933
    6. Turn on the "SHADOWS" group and open it.
    You can alter the amount of shadows adjustment by clicking on Shadows/Highlights in the layers panel.
    Your layers panel should look like this:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	img-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	480930
    ================================================== ================================================== ==========
    Hints and Tips
    ------------------
    1:
    Another way to make a good selection of the sky is to use the "Sky Replacement..." tool - available under the EDIT menu in CC2021.
    Use the default blue sky, apply the settings below then click OK.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	img-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	480931
    This will make a new Group called "Sky Replacement Group" in the Layers Panel.
    Drag the MASK ONLY on the Sky layer, to your own Sky (Color Fill) layer, then delete the "Sky Replacement Group". See below.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	img-5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	480932
    2:
    To see the larger versions of your layer icons in the Layers Panel, click its "Hamburger" Menu and select Panel Options.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	img-6.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	480939
    Use settings as below.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	img-7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	480927
    ================================================== ================================================== ==============
    Final Results, Before & After:
    BEFORE
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Log_Cabin_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	352.9 KB ID:	480938AFTER
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Log_Cabin_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	397.2 KB ID:	480937
    Last edited by Isac; 14-10-2021, 07:16 PM.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear

I dusted once and it came back. I'm not falling for that again!
    A wise man told his wife "NOTHING" because he was a wise man!

Good explanation Isac, Thanks.
    Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheers Alan. I tried not to make it too long winded. If you give it a try, please show us some Before & After images
Working...
X