No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camel Rock HDR

Last ones.

I tried using the PS HDR feature as the foreground was completely underexposed when shooting into the sun.

The shots 3 shots used were hand held, so I wasn't sure if PS could line them up, but it seemed to cope.

However, I didn't like the HDR effect that much, so I spent a bit of time fine tuning with some dodge and burn for effect.

Interested in hearing if you think they work. (D90 with Sigma 10-20mm)

Cheers

Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

They both work well but more so the first.

With #2 the rock column on the right looks overcooked and maybe could be toned a little while still retaining some detail.

If I was being really picky I'd suggest that some of the shadow from the rock on left could have been retained, not a lot, but enough to offer a contrast if you know what I mean.

Both are pleasing images .
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

Mick is a hard man to please. Likes them both, and then rips into them!

You won't get that from me, Alan. Rest assured.

I do think both are winners. In #1, the foreground strikes me at being a bit flat, bit then again, the more subdued look may work better.

#2 is perhaps my favorite.The scene looks quite out-of-this-world. The foreground textures and colors are quite spectacular.

I'm relieved that you didn't take these with the iPhone. I'm seriously considering hiding Elizabeth's iPhone.
      Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

Comment

Both lookin' good here but I also reckon the light on the face of the column is unnatural considering the sun is coming from behind it (or can you bend light?)
        Great scene other than that in my eyes.

Cheers.

What if there were no Hypothetical questions?
        CC always welcomed, feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time - Thanks.

Comment

I like both, #1 DOF + HD works really well. #2 HDR has given the shot a surreal effect, type of art work I like TFS.

I could imagine getting there early in the day with a rake and doing the Japanese garden art through all that sand in the second shot then shooting it. Cheers Pete
          If you wish to Learn first learn silence.
          Cheers Pete.
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/128884981@N07/

Comment

Originally posted by loose cannon View Post
            They both work well but more so the first.

With #2 the rock column on the right looks overcooked and maybe could be toned a little while still retaining some detail.

If I was being really picky I'd suggest that some of the shadow from the rock on left could have been retained, not a lot, but enough to offer a contrast if you know what I mean.

Both are pleasing images .
            Thanks Mick. I know exactly what you mean. When I was processing #2 I just couldn't seem to get it balanced. I've rarely done HDR, so I thought I'd give it a bit more oomph - just because I could . Maybe PS needs a 'Subtlety Slider' on their Filters .

I may have been thinking of the postcard market. Something you may also wish to consider for your exhibition? Some people may be reluctant to fork out big bucks for a brilliant print, but will willing pay for some postcards (or smaller, unmounted prints) of the same subject. Greg seems to have commercial success with his 'iceblocks' as well. Gives people a choice of how they take a little piece of you home.

Originally posted by sejac View Post
            Mick is a hard man to please. Likes them both, and then rips into them!

You won't get that from me, Alan. Rest assured.

I do think both are winners. In #1, the foreground strikes me at being a bit flat, bit then again, the more subdued look may work better.

#2 is perhaps my favorite.The scene looks quite out-of-this-world. The foreground textures and colors are quite spectacular.

I'm relieved that you didn't take these with the iPhone. I'm seriously considering hiding Elizabeth's iPhone.
            Thanks Charles, (Mick has had a good teacher hard but fair )

Yes, the Subtlety Slider was turned down in #1, but I pushed it closer to the danger zone in #2, but I quite liked the effect - even though it looked a bit unnatural.

I've only recently noticed that my camera phone has a HDR setting as well - watch this space

Thanks for the feedback guys

Cheers
            Alan

Flickr Instagram

Comment

I have never really been a fan of HDR

but

That second shot really rocks my boat and I am going to have a play, all because of you!

It has depth and the lighting seems illogical, but that is something that I find draws me to it.

Awesome shot mate!

cheers Eden

I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
              Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• sejac
                sejac commented
                Editing a comment
                HDR can be overdone, and I'm no fan either. But done with restraint, as in Alan's examples, it's worth a go at.

Originally posted by Gaz View Post
              Both lookin' good here but I also reckon the light on the face of the column is unnatural considering the sun is coming from behind it (or can you bend light?)
              Great scene other than that in my eyes.

Cheers.
              Thanks Gaz, yes I know what you mean. Maybe the light is bouncing off the sand or from the front of my WA lens onto the rock I quite like the idea of being thought of as a 'Lightbender' though...

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              I like both, #1 DOF + HD works really well. #2 HDR has given the shot a surreal effect, type of art work I like TFS.

I could imagine getting there early in the day with a rake and doing the Japanese garden art through all that sand in the second shot then shooting it. Cheers Pete
              Glad it appealed Pete. You are a man of excellent ideas - It's obvious now you mention it. Even though, to me, the messy footprints compliment the roughness of the rocks, I'd love to see how it would work with the contrast of the raked, or even smooth, sand. Guess I'll have to go back and do it again - sigh. Not sure how it will look to the locals to see me raking the beach sand, but I'll deal with that at the time.

Originally posted by Eden View Post
              I have never really been a fan of HDR

but

That second shot really rocks my boat and I am going to have a play, all because of you!

It has depth and the lighting seems illogical, but that is something that I find draws me to it.

Awesome shot mate!

cheers Eden

Thanks Eden. Glad you liked #2 as well and it inspired you to experiment. Sometimes logic doesn't come in to it.

Sometimes, 'What the Hell', can be the right response

Alan

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions re my exhibition Alan, appreciated. I hadn't given much thought to the smaller image market, I have a tendency to view all images as potential huge wall hangers and that creeps into my CC on this forum as well.

Something for me to ponder as I wander.
                -----------------------------------------------------
                Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

It will inspire me to experiment! I'm pretty fixed in my ways but love to experiment if the reasoning is right!

and that shot sorted that out for me!
                  Last edited by Eden; 26-02-2015, 03:54 PM.
                  I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
                  Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Working...
                  X