Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new direction for me

I have recently joined a local camera club and last Wednesday evening they had a guest speaker, Ian van der Wolde from Altered Images who gave a talk on long exposure photography. We are talking exposures of 8 minutes and more, I was absolutely blown away by the simplicity, yet beauty of his images.
    I am using some of his images as inspiration to further my photographic interests. Next Wednesday he is giving a hands on workshop, really looking forward to this.

Model: Canon EOS R6
    Exposure Time: 60 sec
    F Number: f/10
    ISO Speed Ratings: ISO 50
    Focal Length: 240 mm
    Lens Model: RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    Manual Focus
    12 stop Haida ND filter

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaford Jetty 002.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	487248
    Last edited by Grumpy John; 19-06-2022, 02:21 PM. Reason: Straightened horizon.
    My Gear

Simple but striking image John. I look forward to seeing more.
    Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Alan, I think that this style will keep me occupied for quite a while.

Being honest, it's not for me John, although I do like the minimalist feel and the colours but I prefer less "milky" effect with the water. It's obviously what you're going for and you've done it really well.
    I would:
    1. Move the subject away from the image centre.
    2. Straightening the horizon
    3. Crop off some of the sky.
    I was going to do an edit but I won't be editing forum images any more, I think I'm done with that. I will however offer tips now and then if they are welcome.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Originally posted by Isac View Post
      Being honest, it's not for me John, although I do like the minimalist feel and the colours but I prefer less "milky" effect with the water. It's obviously what you're going for and you've done it really well.
      I would:
      1. Move the subject away from the image centre.
      2. Straightening the horizon
      3. Crop off some of the sky.
      I was going to do an edit but I won't be editing forum images any more, I think I'm done with that. I will however offer tips now and then if they are welcome.
      Thanks for the feedback and critique Isac. It's a good thing that we are all different, nothing woulld inspire us if we all thought the same.
      1. Left, or right? It is a static object so there is no need for space for the "object to move into. Also there is nothing of interest on either side to "balance" the image if I were to shift it.
      2. I had straightened the image, but I posted the wrong edit, it will be corrected.
      3. I tried 6 x 4 and didn't like it, so I went for a square crop.

Here is an "off centre" 4 x 5 crop.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaford Jetty 002 (edit).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	487250
      My Gear

Comment

Working...
      X