No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mixed bag

We have finally had a day when it didn't look like raining at any tick of the clock so I took myself over to the local lake. Not much to see there, the lake had plenty of water but little bird life save for the ever present Pacific Black Duck. Even the bin chickens and swans have gone elsewhere.
    Determined to get some bird shots I headed over the the Dandenong Wetlands where I had slightly better luck.
    I'm pretty sure that I've named most of these birds correctly, please let me know if I have any wrong.

C&C most welcome.

#1 Pacific Black Duck.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Pacific Black Duck.jpg Views:	0 Size:	214.1 KB ID:	467303

#2 Willy (Willie) Wagtail.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Satin Flycatcher.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.1 KB ID:	467304

#3 Willy Wagtail, getting ready for a date.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Satin Flycatcher 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.6 KB ID:	467305

#4 White Faced Heron
    Click image for larger version  Name:	White Faced Heron.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.6 KB ID:	467306

#5 White Faced Heron on the prowl.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	White Faced Heron 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.1 KB ID:	467307

#6 Great Egret
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Great Egret.jpg Views:	0 Size:	267.1 KB ID:	467308

#7 Crow.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Crow.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.1 KB ID:	467309

#8 Probably the catch of the day in terms of species (I have no idea what it is). It's just a shame that I inadvertently moved the aperture dial to a setting of f13 which pushed the ISO to 4000, not good
    If anyone knows what this bird is please let me know.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	The Lake_1052.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.2 KB ID:	467310

EDIT: I believe that it may be a European Goldfinch, thank you Mr. Google.

LINK
    Last edited by Grumpy John; 11-11-2019, 04:59 PM.
    My Gear

All lovely photos of our local birds John. Your Satin Fly Catcher is actually a Willie Wagtail (Rhipidura leucophrys) which is a passerine bird. Other than that all the others are correct. Well done mate!
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

A nice collection,I`d be happy with .I don`t know if it`s the smoke but the birds have gone quiet around my area.
    C+C,EDITS OK
    I shoot a Canon 90D with a few bits of glass.

Comment

All part of a beaut collection - a well done from me
      ps- the mystery bird could be the 'tomato sauce tippler' ~ wotcha reckon?
      Phil

Comment

mystery bird is indeed a european goldfinch. appears to be showing effects of a decent crop though.
      good work on these. one of the better series from you. particular the black duck, herons and egret. well done
      Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the encouraging words Stephen, much appreciated. You are correct re the European Goldfinch, very heavily cropped and also suffers from correcting the noise from a high ISO of 4000.
        I'll try for a less severe crop and post it later.

Less crop and less noise correction.
      Much better, thanks for the critique avkomp

Click image for larger version  Name:	European Goldfinch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.7 KB ID:	467339
      My Gear

Comment

For those that maybe interested a few words from Mr Google.

Description. Introduced to Australia in the nineteenth century, the European Goldfinch is one of only two 'true finches' in Australia (the other is the Greenfinch ). It has a red face, with a black crown and shoulders. The sides of the head are white. The upperparts and flanks are brown, the abdomen and rump are white. European Goldfinch | BirdLife Australia

www.birdlife.org.au › bird-profile › european-goldfinch
        Better a full bottle in front of me
        than a full frontal lobotomy.
        Hans

Comment

• Isac
          Isac commented
          Editing a comment
          On behalf of all members who are keen bird watchers and photographers it is with great pleasure that I (as an administrator) sincerely thank you Hans for your fantastic diligence and perseverance and your in-depth research in obtaining this little known data on the Goldfinch and passing it on to our forum members. So much appreciated and duly noted for any future awards which may come your way. Have a great day
      Working...
      X