No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australasian Darter with fish

I saw this Darter with a fish impaled on its beak, but it was a bit far away and going further (I think it was afraid I would steal the fish), so quality is a bit lacking. I managed to get a few shots but missed the swallowing.

It seems to be quite an effort for them to get the fish off the bill ready for swallowing.

All with Nikon D800 and Nikkor 500mm PF f/5.6

1. 1/2000 f/5.6 ISO 1600
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220914_TygumPark_0105.jpg Views:	12 Size:	282.8 KB ID:	491235

2. 1/2000 f/5.6 ISO 1400
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220914_TygumPark_0110.jpg Views:	10 Size:	315.1 KB ID:	491236

3. 1/2000 f/5.6 ISO 900
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220914_TygumPark_0113.jpg Views:	9 Size:	267.6 KB ID:	491237
    Last edited by wigz; 18-09-2022, 06:06 AM.
    Alan W

My Gallery

It makes you wonder just how do they they get that fish down their throat...:-)

Very well caught too (photo that is)

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I have a shot from some years ago of one swallowing a fish. Amazing how they do it.

We have these just over the road and not that far for me to get to the river to see even more.
    But I have never caught a shot like this and not for the lack of want to get one it just has never come up.
    Well done and a lot of jealousy right now.

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ralph. Keep looking, they pop up when you're not expecting it.

G'day Alan

Another set of excellent images from you .... always a pleasure to view your efforts

Phil

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Phil.

Great series and well caught (both of you). Do they always swim half submerged?

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Yes they usually swim like that. I think one of their common names used to be 'snakebird' as sometimes all you see is the sinuous neck.

good series of images here. the behaviour captured trumps image quality. also shows why they are called darters
    where I used to go in sydney I was fortunate to capture this sort of thing a few times and pretty close. was there trying to capture the cormorant and darter flybys.
    only bummer about moving down here really- no duckponds anywhere near close
    Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Stephen. I have a more complete series from some years ago showing from on beak to swallowed, but the IQ is similar. I have seen a number of them, all either too far away or with the sun behind them but I keep looking.

Great shots. Must’ve been nice to catch all of that.
    Fujifilm X-T5, XF16-80 f/4, XF70-300 f/4-5.6, XF23 f/2, XF35 f/2, XF150-600 f/5.6-8, and a random assortment of 35mm film cameras.

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks David. Yes it was, but would have been more satisfying if it had been closer.

Pleasure to view your efforts Alan. all keepers. #1 form me, I like the the darker BG which seems to show more detail and a good reflection.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Isac. Yes #1 is my favourite too.

I love the pose and angle where the photos were taken from. The reflection really is a treat.

Are you legally allowed to get closer?

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

There are no legal restrictions, at least as far as I know.

These birds are quite common but tend to keep their distance, particularly when they have a big fish.

You only have a couple of minutes until the fish is swallowed and the bird is usually swimming away from you as fast as it can.

If you’re lucky one will pop up with a fish not too far away.
Working...
X