X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wigz
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you.

There are no legal restrictions, at least as far as I know.

These birds are quite common but tend to keep their distance, particularly when they have a big fish.

You only have a couple of minutes until the fish is swallowed and the bird is usually swimming away from you as fast as it can.

If you’re lucky one will pop up with a fish not too far away.

• dolina
    replied
    I love the pose and angle where the photos were taken from. The reflection really is a treat.

Are you legally allowed to get closer?

Leave a comment:

• wigz
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Isac. Yes #1 is my favourite too.

• Isac
    replied
    Pleasure to view your efforts Alan. all keepers. #1 form me, I like the the darker BG which seems to show more detail and a good reflection.

Leave a comment:

• wigz
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks David. Yes it was, but would have been more satisfying if it had been closer.

• wigz
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Stephen. I have a more complete series from some years ago showing from on beak to swallowed, but the IQ is similar. I have seen a number of them, all either too far away or with the sun behind them but I keep looking.

• David_MC
    replied
    Great shots. Must’ve been nice to catch all of that.

Leave a comment:

• avkomp
    replied
    good series of images here. the behaviour captured trumps image quality. also shows why they are called darters
    where I used to go in sydney I was fortunate to capture this sort of thing a few times and pretty close. was there trying to capture the cormorant and darter flybys.
    only bummer about moving down here really- no duckponds anywhere near close

Leave a comment:

• wigz
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. Yes they usually swim like that. I think one of their common names used to be 'snakebird' as sometimes all you see is the sinuous neck.

• wigz
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Phil.

• AlfandBen
    replied
    Great series and well caught (both of you). Do they always swim half submerged?

Leave a comment:

• Ozzie_Traveller
    replied
    G'day Alan

Another set of excellent images from you .... always a pleasure to view your efforts

Phil

Leave a comment:

• wigz
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. I have a shot from some years ago of one swallowing a fish. Amazing how they do it.

• wigz
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Ralph. Keep looking, they pop up when you're not expecting it.

• Ralph
    replied
    We have these just over the road and not that far for me to get to the river to see even more.
    But I have never caught a shot like this and not for the lack of want to get one it just has never come up.
    Well done and a lot of jealousy right now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X