Click image for larger version

Name:	5691-Rainbow_Lorikeet.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	491737
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Lovely photos. They’re comical little birds, aren’t they?

Comment

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Griff. They always seem to be just crazy happy birds as they fly around.

always photogenic little birds. good behaviour captured here. 2nd and 3rd are my favs here as they are most engaging to the camera, and of cos displaying habitat the best to my eyes.
    light looks a tad flat too, I wonder would a minor curves adjustment lift these. specifically at the black end?
    I miss the lorikeets. not seen on since moving. replaced with rosellas here.
    good work
    Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that Stephen, you're welcome to do the curves and post the result

ISAC image with black point moved slightly to right. not too much. I felt it looked better with slightly more contrast.

Name:	image_41613a.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	491827

Comment

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      You're right, it does improve it a tad. I did the same and only moved black to the right by 10 units (3.91%). Just that small amount makes a big difference. A lot of this stuff I guess depends on what type of monitor we are viewing the images on, which are all different, Thanks for your edit, appreciated.

All comes down to personal tastes in the end

Comment

Good series with a variety of good poses Isac. The colours look a little muddy to me, with the birds a bit dark.

Here is a rather quick and dirty edit that has given a slight halo around the bird. Steps were:
      1. Auto levels using the "Enhance Per Channel Contrast" option
      2. Select bird and lift mid-tones using a curves layer

Name:	Lorikeet-1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	491850
      Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        Great job Alan. Did you do that in PS? I'd like a copy of the PSD if available.

• wigz
        wigz commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn’t bother to save the psd Isac. I can redo it when I get some time later today.

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        No worries don't do it again. I'm sure I could replicate it. A lot of it depends on the monitor display as well.

that looks better. guess I wasnt the only one who thought the pix flat.
      that edit makes massive difference

Comment

what I am liking recently is genuine critique of images.
        this cant fail to help everyone.
        btw I looked at the colour profile of these pix and not see any in info available to me.
        if none assigned, a browser will assign srgb.
        I have seen posted images that are argb profile posted on web sites before and the browser erroneously thought it was srgb.
        this gave results not dissimilar to this.

Comment

• Isac
          Isac commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the camera set to sRGB 8bit. That's what browsers use so that's OK for me. If I photograph anything for print I set the camera to Adobe RGB and use 16bit for processing in PS. I reckon sRGB is plenty good enough for web display.

• avkomp
          avkomp commented
          Editing a comment
          just looking for exactly how come the pix came out flat this time is all.
          I have camera set to argb and highest bit depth available.
          perceived wider gamut, although not sure it can be detected.
          workflow stays at argb unless posting to web or something.

• Isac
          Isac commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks mate. Most of my images now are for web so I'm happy to use sRGB. I've compared it with Adobe RGB and with small images for web its hard to differentiate. remember I only have a cheapie 7Dii with an average lens (Tamron 18-400) so I'm sure your Full Frame with good glass will result in a much higher IQ than what I get.

I am not going to comment on what has been said as it has been and to me that is enough.
        These are not my favourite as I think they are the angry parrot types of what we have here and I never see them like Galah's or Corella's rolling around enjoying life.
        And I know in some area's now these are being called a pest but not sure of where this is but.
        Though here their numbers are on the rise but not overly quickly in saying that.
        So well done on your captures.

Comment

• Isac
          Isac commented
          Editing a comment
          I know what you think about these birds Ralph and that's OK. In some parts of Australia they are classed as pests. Here in WA they are pests. They were introduced here in the 60's - when 10 caged birds were accidentally released, so they multiplied into thousands, dominating other WA native birds. Sad to think that has happened. They feast on cherry, apple, pear, stone fruit, grape and vegetable crops. They even eat mince left out in feeders for Kookaburras and Magpies. There's another 7 varieties of lorikeets. Some of them are beautiful colours.
          One bloke has developed a Blue Rainbow Lorikeet!! Others we see are the Scaly-breasted and the Purple-crowned.

They’re fierce protectors of their breeding sites, which drives out other species native to Perth.
      Working...
      X