No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Black Cockatoos

Majestic birds - Western Australian Forest Red Tail Black Cockatoos looking for somewhere to rest. 400mm no crop.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	9477-RTBC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	323.9 KB ID:	499306
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Good composition
    A HAPPY PENTAX USER

Comment

Nice shot.
      Fujifilm X-T5, XF16-80 f/4, XF70-300 f/4-5.6, XF23 f/2, XF35 f/2, XF150-600 f/5.6-8, and a random assortment of 35mm film cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglem View Post
        Good composition
        Originally posted by David_MC View Post
        Nice shot.
        Cheers guys. They are a sight for sore eyes when they fly over in packs. It's not that common any more, when they are slowly losing their habitat.
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
        "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Well done getting all those birds in the frame Isac. I think they are a different sub-species to the ones we get here.
          Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• Isac
            Isac commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Alan. They were in a tight group and there was a few more out of frame. These are Forest Red Tail Black Cockatoos, endemic to the South West of W.A. so they are a bit unique.

The sad bit ...

The Forest Red-tailed Black Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus banksii naso) is recognised as a threatened species under State and Commonwealth legislation. In Western Australia the species is listed as "likely to become extinct" in the wild.
            The species has experienced a continued population decline in the past 60 years. Nest hollow shortage is considered to be the principal threat to the species; a large number of suitable trees have been felled in the past and are likely to
            continue to be lost due to mining activities, timber harvesting and fires.

Other threats currently impacting on the species include:
            1. Competition for limited nest hollows with other cockatoos, native ducks and feral Honey bees
            2. Ongoing habitat loss from vegetation clearing and selective removal of Marri trees;
            3. Death and injury resulting from vehicle strike;
            4. Past illegal shooting; and
            5. Reduced food and nest availability due to fires and climate change.
        Working...
        X