No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Author Douglas Adams thought this was the answer ,,,,

G'day all

the answer to the universe was "42" but here this little non-flying pig might have a better answer
    r
    exif- Panny FZ-2500; 1/80s x F4,3; ISO-800; lens at 6x zoom / 150mm FFequiv

As always, feedback welcome

Phil

You got me interested Phil, so I had to look it up.

Form wikipedia.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.

The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything," calculated by an enormous supercomputer named Deep Thought over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately, no one knows what the question is. Thus, to calculate the Ultimate Question, a special computer the size of a small planet was built from organic components and named "Earth". The Ultimate Question "What do you get when you multiply six by nine"[26] was found by Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect in the second book of the series, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. This appeared first in the radio play and later in the novelization of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The fact that Adams named the episodes of the radio play "fits", the same archaic title for a chapter or section used by Lewis Carroll in The Hunting of the Snark, suggests that Adams was influenced by Carroll's fascination with and frequent use of the number. The fourth book in the series, the novel So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, contains 42 chapters. According to the novel Mostly Harmless, 42 is the street address of Stavromula Beta. In 1994 Adams created the 42 Puzzle, a game based on the number 42.

The book 42: Douglas Adams' Amazingly Accurate Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything (2011)[27] examines Adams' choice of the number 42, and contains a compendium of some instances of the number in science, popular culture, and humour.

Google also has a calculator easter egg when you search "the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything." Once typed (all in lowercase), the calculator answers with the number 42.
    My Gear

Comment

• HansE
      HansE commented
      Editing a comment
      All very familiar. At that time I also heard the start of a SF story on the radio but never heard the end I was building a house at the time. The story goes that the signs of some other civilisation are found on another planet. Only problem is that even though habitat is perfect for humans no one survives the visit. So they enlist the help of a man who had been found dead in space by aliens who reconstructed him and bought him back to life and sent him home. He was a strange bloke as the aliens only guessed at how everything was supposed to work. He was not very social as I recall but someone was sent to enlist him as he didn't think the same as other people.
      I would love to find out how the story went. Have never been able to find anyone who knows of it.
      Love the pink pig by the way!

Nice pig Phil. I do like pink, I like getting mail and I was once 42. I guess it's all, working out for me so far.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Thanks fellas for all the responses ~ it's beaut to occasionally open things up that are not 'photographic'
      Phil

Comment

Working...
      X