Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria State Library

Some images from inside the Vic State Library. And outside.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Victoria State Library 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	486730
    Canon R6 w Canon RF 16mm f2.8 lens f8.0 1/30 ISO 800

Click image for larger version  Name:	Victoria State Library 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	486731
    Canon R6 w Canon RF 16mm f2.8 lens f2.8 1/15 ISO 800

Click image for larger version  Name:	Victoria State Library 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.4 KB ID:	486732
    Canon R6 w Canon RF 16mm f2.8 lens f8.0 1/25 ISO 800

#4 B/W version.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Victoria State Library 3 (B&W).jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.9 KB ID:	486733

#5 That sinking feeling.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Victoria State Library 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	486734
    Canon R6 w Canon RF 16mm f2.8 lens f2.8 1/320 ISO 100

My Gear

Looks as if you are enjoying your visit. #1 is nearly perfect
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Although the weather was miserable I really did enjoy my walk around the CBD today.
      What would you change about #1 Hans, I'm always open to honest critique.

It is difficult to get the original symetric even more so with a wide angle lens. You line up the top to be horizontal and vertical and find because of where you are taking the picture from it doesn't match at the bottom. I think what I noticed first was the different angle that the base of the columns make. A touch up with transform and skew makes it look straight.

Like the first shots with your new lens though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter-864.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	486756
    Hans

Comment

Originally posted by HansE View Post
      It is difficult to get the original symetric even more so with a wide angle lens. You line up the top to be horizontal and vertical and find because of where you are taking the picture from it doesn't match at the bottom. I think what I noticed first was the different angle that the base of the columns make. A touch up with transform and skew makes it look straight.

Like the first shots with your new lens though.

Name:	ScreenHunter-864.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	486756
      Thanks for detailed reply Hans.
      you're correct, it is very difficult to achieve correct perspective with a wide angle lens, even more so when shooting from an elevated position as I was for this shot. I did make corrections using the Geometry feature in ACR, maybe I did not choose the best horizontal lines.

Image before perspective corrections.

Name:	31May2022_0004 copy.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	486761

Lines used for corrections.

Name:	Corrections.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	486760
      My Gear

Comment

Not familiar with that program. I can simply fix it in PS It is interesting to note before you do the perspective correction the picture lines up better horizontally. May even be centered better? It was out about 2degrees was enough for me to notice.
        Hans

Comment

• Grumpy John
          Grumpy John commented
          Editing a comment
          I will continue to play with this image.

• HansE
          HansE commented
          Editing a comment
          If you mean the geometry adjustments in camera raw I have not used them until just now just to have a look. May come in handy sometime.

• Grumpy John
          Grumpy John commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, the geometry adjustments.

One last try.

Name:	31May2022_0004 copy.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	486786
        My Gear

Comment

You are having fun with the new toy John. As you know the wide angles are super bad with perspective but that's what they're designed for. More for landscapes maybe. It's a nightmare to try correcting in post because you can't undo the distortion. You can give it a good shake like you did above and it works well though. With images like these, there's a trick to getting things at least lined up and that's to copy sections to new layers and straightening those layers with the move tool. Here's what I did with just copying sections from the pillars down, but this is only on a small image from the original posted.

Name:	Vic_Library-E.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	486788
          I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
          "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

I like them all except the last, John and I think the wide angle distortion makes them more interesting. The last just doesn't make sense to my eyes/brain - I assume it's a sculpture.
            Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• Grumpy John
              Grumpy John commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha, I see where you're coming from Alan. I'll put up a wider shot, it may make more sense.
              Thanks for the kind words, I had a lot of fun trying out the new lens.

A wide shot of #5 above.

Name:	31May2022_0016.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	486875
            My Gear

Comment

• wigz
              wigz commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks - a bit of context makes a huge difference. I'm a little surprised you were allowed to take photos inside.

• Grumpy John
              Grumpy John commented
              Editing a comment
              You can take as many photos as you like, no tripods allowed though.
          Working...
          X