No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• griffljg
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Mark, Great to see you here too. When are you doing another visit to Australia?

• MJ224
    replied
    Morning Larry, I joining you here. Its a super photo, all that brilliant light...:-)

Leave a comment:

• griffljg
    commented on 's reply
    Here's one, taken on the same day as the first two, which shows the whole servo.

The Old Servo by Laurence Griffiths, on Flickr

• griffljg
    commented on 's reply
    That Golden Fleece sign appears to have been erected (re-erected?) sometime between December 2005 and Christmas Eve 2016, as is the case with that old red and yellow hand-operated pumps. Notice that they are not in my December 2005 photo.

• K1W1
    replied
    Originally posted by griffljg View Post
    I took this photo back in December 2005. It looks as if the servo might have still been semi-operating at that stage. Some of the hoses appear to be fairly new.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_41207.jpg Views:	3 Size:	456.3 KB ID:	489561
    I have never been able to find out any real info about the place. I'm not convinced that it ever operated. I have heard stories that it is simply a creation of some people who wanted a tourist trap.
    This is my shot from Christmas eve 2016

and December 2020

Leave a comment:

• wigz
    replied
    Wonderful images but I like the last one the best. The lighting is better and it shows the complete building, even if the vehicle is a bit of an anachronism.

Leave a comment:

• griffljg
    replied

I took this photo back in December 2005. It looks as if the servo might have still been semi-operating at that stage. Some of the hoses appear to be fairly new.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_41207.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	456.3 KB
ID:	489561

Leave a comment:

• dolina
    replied
    I miss going on road trips! Last one I did was 3 years ago!

Leave a comment:

• K1W1
    replied
    Probably the most photographed "Servo" in Australia.
    I must admit I end up stopping for a shot every time I go through there. If you arrive behind a group of 4WDs or a group of ADV motorcycles you would be there ages as they all pull up for their signature photo.

Leave a comment:

• Grumpy John
    replied
    Two great images, truly representative of the area. I've spent some time in that area in my old 100 series Landcruiser.

Leave a comment:

• griffljg
    started a topic The Old Servo

The Old Servo

Back in 2005, I was working for VicRoads in Benalla in north-eastern Victoria. I was asked to go to Woods Point and look at some driveway access issues.

"Where is Woods Point?", I asked a colleague.

"Mansfield, Howqua, Jamieson and keep going.......", was the reply.

"What's it like?" was my next question.
    "Think banjos and Deliverance!" - He wasn't far wrong.

The old servo in the main street was quite photogenic. I have been back a few more times to take photos:
Working...
X