Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panning in the street.

#1 - Manual | f/16 | 1/125 sec | ISO 100 | 83 mm | Metering: Center weighted average | -2 EV

Click image for larger version

Name:	8024-Panning.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	495393
    #2 - Manual | f/16 | 1/125 sec | ISO 100 | 71 mm | Metering: Center weighted average | -2 EV

Name:	8021-Panning.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	495394
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Well panned Isac. Love the whirly wheels that accompany a sharp car outline..:-)

Comment

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mark. I just played with the shutter speed till I got close to what I thought looked OK. 1/125th is the slowest I went to but I reckon I could go lower.

Well done Isac but I think the shutter speed needs to be a bit slower to blur the background more.

I don't know if it's age, digital cameras or I'm just pickier than I used to be, but I can't seem to get a sharp subject while panning at shutter speeds slow enough to blur the background.
    Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• HansE
      HansE commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no problem taking blurred pictures Alan

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheers Alan. I am going to do some slower shutters and see what happens. all the way down to 1/30 second. Most of these cars are doing around 60km/Hr and according to the experts, the subject traveling speed helps with shutter speed selection. Only one way to find out I guess.

I's a visit to the race track for you Isac, for some fast stuff
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Comment

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Not likely mate. I took many of trotters back in the day but I don't know how fast they were going. I used to do school carnivals and got some good shots of kids in the running races.

• HansE
      HansE commented
      Editing a comment
      I have enjoyed Bathurst and the super bikes at philip island.

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      You are a well traveled man Hans. I don't have to go far to get cars racing around, they are in our streets daily.

I tried a slower shutter speed. These are all 1/80th second. I prefer more background blur so next effort will be Shutter Priority, AI Servo High Speed, 1/30th. I'll see what happens.

Name:	8103-Panning.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	495535

Name:	8104-Panning.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	495536

Name:	8111-Panning.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	495537
    I Shoot A Canon

"I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

A bit like shooting a rifle! You have to keep moving while you pull the trigger! You seem to be doing pretty good. Birds in flight next
      Better a full bottle in front of me
      than a full frontal lobotomy.
      Hans

Comment

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Hans. It's just practice I guess and playing with the camera settings. This morning's efforts were a complete failure, so back to basics.
        Definitely no more bird shots from me.

These seem to have worked out pretty well. Fairly sure if I tried that you would think I had multi exposures in one frame from the camera shake.

Comment

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks A&B. These settings did work out OK. These cars were doing around 60km/hr so 1/80th second looks to be a good starting point. Some say the shutter priority mode using AI servo is good too but I tried that this morning and it was not good. Some more experimenting will need to be done I guess. You should give panning a try and see what you come up with.

• AlfandBen
        AlfandBen commented
        Editing a comment
        I have tried it but never as low a 1/80th, and on horses not cars, so the effect was limited.

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        Cars are easier A&B. Horses have a lot of moving parts and at 1/80th parts will always be blurry. That's OK too as it can add to the speed effect. Cars though only have the wheels spinning which helps capture the speed motion. Some shutter speeds can go as low as 1/25. I'm only experimenting but it's good fun and a great learning curve.

A couple more. I think these are the right settings
      Canon EOS 7D Mark II | Manual | f/14 | 1/50 sec | ISO 100 | 50 mm | Metering: Evaluative | 0 EV | Lens: Tamron 17-50 f:2.8 B005
      Camera settings: AI Servo Hi-Speed (10 fps) | Focus: Expanded single point.

Name:	8536-Panning.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	495719

Name:	8502-Panning.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	495720

I Shoot A Canon