Includes seascape, panorama and travel photography

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volcanic tors on the horizon

G'day all

The Liverpool Plains region of New South Wales is a region with a volcanic history from 50,000 -or so yrs ago, but today providing some very rich soils for agriculture

1) Volcanic tors on the horizon flanked by wheat fields across to the horizon

exif- Panny FZ-2500; 1/1000s x F4,2; ISO-125; lens at 5x zoom / 135mm FF equiv

2) Waterloo pinnacle - part of the volcanic remnants near Manilla, NSW

exif- Panny FZ-2500; 1/640s x F4,1; ISO-125; lens at 4x zoom / 95mm FF equiv

3) One of many eroded volcanic plugs on the NSW 'Liverpool Plains'

exif- Panny FZ-300; 1/800s x F4,0; ISO-100; lens at 5x zoom / 120mm FF equiv

As always, feedback welcome
    Phil

In #1 are you referring to the hills, or are the tors on the hills and too small to see at this size. I rather like the hazy look adding depth to the image

Interesting colour in the sky in #2. I like the placement of the tree but would like to see more of it I think.

I like #3 the best here. The horizontal bands of green, brown and the blue of the distant hills. The lonely tree on the right blances the volcanic plug.
    Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

Unusual scenes Phil. Volcanic action added some interesting shapes to the landscape. #3 is great photo wise, it has good scale that you can relate to and good subjects in the tree and hill.
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

G'day fellas

thx for the feedback .... Alan > if I have used 'tors' incorrectly then I'll have to go back the the dictionary! ... I thought that any volcanic plug -and the weathered away stuff around it- was a 'tor'

As to the trees - yes all part of balancing the main visual item, and in #3 as soon as I saw it, I knew that I had to stop and walk back to insert it into the frame
        All around me on this particular day were rain clouds overhead and mistyness across every horizon - making it hard to get anything with a tad of contrast for separation of visual elements

Phil

Comment

• wigz
          wigz commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m sure you’re right about the tors Phil. I was looking for rocky outcrops but I think it has a more general use. I thought there may have been detail not visible in the image at this size.

• Grumpy John
          Grumpy John commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't worry too much about the atmospheric effects Phil, that is what it was on the day you were there. One of the issues we all face when photographing on our travels is we can't control the weather, and unless we have the time to wait it out for better conditions we have to take what we can get. You can fiddle about with PP when you get home, if that's your thing, but I'm sure these images weren't meant for travel brochures .

It shows how old the country is. The flatter the hills the more erosion. There are some fantastic sights in China where there are a large number of small volcanos visible and obviously a lot younger than what we find here. Very interesting to see. It may have looked like that here.
        Better a full bottle in front of me
        than a full frontal lobotomy.
        Hans

Comment

Working...
        X