No announcement yet.

Includes seascape, panorama and travel photography

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Bridge - inside the cave

Apologies to Hans for stealing his subject, but his post reminded me of my shots. It is raining here today and has been overcast and showery since the weekend so I'm pretty much limited to posting old photos.

Natural Bridge is only about an hours drive from my place and I've been there many times over the years. This shot is from 2015 which seems to be the last time I took photos inside the cave, so I probably should pay another visit. The log in the waterfall is gone now.

This is a single exposure with shadows lifted and whites recovered. I also have some HDR shots but I like this one better. This has a little detail in the roof of the cave that doesn't show at this size.

Nikon D800, Nikkor 16-35 f/4 @ 20mm. 1/2s f/8 ISO 100
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20150602_Numinbah_0028_fs.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	486130
    Alan W

My Gallery

That looks very good Alan. I do feel you have lost your center if interest and have two pictures. I'm sure we will see a better shot from your next visit. Lots of water coming through at the moment.
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hans. I think you are right but, to me, either half of the image is less interesting on its own. I've added a different version below.

• HansE
      HansE commented
      Editing a comment
      I think we are both right. needs a slightly different approach probably.

In response to Hans' comment, a version with a narrower field of view.

Name:	20150602_Numinbah_0015-HDR.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	486137
    Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

Lovely place to sit and click Alan. You first image to me it does look like 2 different images BUT a shadows lift combines them really well. Luminosity mask does well too.
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• wigz
        wigz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the suggestion Isac. I did lift the shadows but not enough it seems. I've reprocessed it, lifting the shadows much more aggressively. I will add below. Let me know what you think.

Another attempt following Isac's suggestion to lift the shadows much more.

More detail is visible if you click the image to see the larger version.

Name:	20150602_Numinbah_0028-Copy-Edit_ps.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	486198
      Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

This could be like Monet water lilies- There is a lot that can be done here
        Hans

Comment

• wigz
          wigz commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, although more like a bottomless pit. I'm stopping here.

• HansE
          HansE commented
          Editing a comment
          Youre in charge!

• Isac
          Isac commented
          Editing a comment
          Much easier now to get a good idea of the whole scene and I like the edit very much. Good onya Alan - well done.

G'day Alan + team

I am happy with the original image - it's a cave so it will be dark! ... and the water flow from indoors to outdoors works for me
        However the others edits work as well once seen - but #1 would still be the one on my lounge room wall

Phil

Comment

• wigz
          wigz commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Phil. As in many other areas we have too many choices today, making it hard to choose one. It’s just so easy to change the treatment of a photo.

• Isac
          Isac commented
          Editing a comment
          That's called creative license and it's marvelous. As we know, the dynamic range of the camera is nowhere near what we actually see so it's great that we have the power to get a closer representation of what we actually saw - not available in bygone times.

This as I look at it is almost a 2 shots in the single shot with the waterfall then to the right to outside area.
        I am going to disagree with playing around with this as I think the original shot is the best.
        In my eyes this is how I see it as I am not techno as most of you here and I take a shot for what it is not for what it could be.
        If this make sense to you all. So the 1st shot is the one I like out of what has been done to it later.

Comment

• wigz
          wigz commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Ralph. They have all been processed quite a bit as the brightness range from dark to light is beyond what current cameras can handle. In the full size image I like the first one, but the darker tones do seem to disappear into black in the reduced size images.

• Ozzie_Traveller
          Ozzie_Traveller commented
          Editing a comment
          Good on yer Ralph ..... we're on the same page !!
          Phil

All cats look grey in the dark so I chooce to agree to disagree
        )
        Hans

Comment

Working...
        X