Includes seascape, panorama and travel photography

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N,I, Post and Rail fence

G'day all

With so much timber growing across the island, just about everything is constructed using Norfolk Island pine, which we are told is an excellent and termite-resistant wood. Fences such as this one were common alongside most roads

exif- Panny FZ-2500; 1/60s x F8; ISO-800; lens at 3x zoom / 90mm FFequiv

As always, feedback welcome
    Phil

Nice leading lines. That is a seriously strong looking fence.

Comment

Nicely composed Phil.
      Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

I like the POV for this one Phil. That fence looks rather tough and also looks to be assembled recently. Did you see any monster sized steel water tanks on your trek?
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
        "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Thanks fellas
          * Fences ... there were plenty of old daggy ones, and plenty like that above. I was told that there were 7 (small two-man operator type of thing) sawmills on the island, and none of the timber goes to waste. While that above is 4-sided, there were many fences that were rounded / curved on one side, being the first cut from the log, but the panel was left as 30-50mm thick to give it strength
          * Water ... there is no reticulated water on the island. While the island appears to receive plenty of rainfall, there is nowhere to place a dam to catch it before it runs into the ocean. Each building has its roofing runoff directed into an underground tank, then pumped back into the house / shop / motel for use by the residents
          * The 240v power is underground along each roadway, with the meter box alongside the letterbox at the gate, so the meter reader just goes along the road and reads the numbers quite easily. Power is a mixture of diesel generated and solar ... they don't want wind turbines to alter the island's profile in tourist photos

Phil

Comment

Good info about the Island Phil. I like the power meters being roadside. I'm with the locals in not wanting wind turbines, they really would spoil the look.
            Our agent there installed over 70 steel water tanks. This is what they look like. I thought you may have seen a few in your travels.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	007 - SAMPLE Tanks Inside Left.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	492056
            I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
            "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• Ozzie_Traveller
              Ozzie_Traveller commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah yes- now you remind me .... I did see a few on the farms rather than in the town alongside houses (as we see 'em around our suburbs)
              Phil

• Isac
              Isac commented
              Editing a comment
              These tanks were for the rural areas, much too big for suburbia.

like the lines in this image. good simple composition that works well
            Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Working...
            X