Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning from Perth Storms

A few strikes from last night's storms.Mostly sheet lightning but the occasional strike.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	9110-Lightning.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	486318

Name:	9080-Lightning.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	486.4 KB
ID:	486319
    #3 - Composite.

Name:	9132-Lightning.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	486317
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

I am yet to get a good shot of lightening as by the time I think of it the thing stops or it is raining so much I just can't see any sense in getting wet as I don't have an area to stand in so I don't get wet. One it will happen.

Comment

Excellent work Isac, particularly #3. I've tried a couple of times without achieving much as there are too many tall trees around me - that's my excuse anyway.
      Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

Can't beat living on a hill
        Better a full bottle in front of me
        than a full frontal lobotomy.
        Hans

Comment

• Isac
          Isac commented
          Editing a comment
          That's for sure! Do you have any lightning shots?

• HansE
          HansE commented
          Editing a comment
          Not many.

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
        I am yet to get a good shot of lightening as by the time I think of it the thing stops or it is raining so much I just can't see any sense in getting wet as I don't have an area to stand in so I don't get wet. One it will happen.
        Originally posted by wigz View Post
        Excellent work Isac, particularly #3. I've tried a couple of times without achieving much as there are too many tall trees around me - that's my excuse anyway.
        It's a bit easier than it looks Ralph and Alan. I just use BULB mode, I use my beautiful Tamron 17-50 lens at 17mm - sharpest in my kit.
        Just focus to INFINITY (all focus points ON), f/:11, Single Shot and Evaluative (Matrix) metering.

Best on a tripod with remote trigger, but not essential.
        Just aim your camera in the direction of the strikes and hold the button down. I usually hold for 5 seconds then release and hold again, to control the ambient light.
        When you see a strike come and go, immediately release the shutter button. That's all you have to do. Here's some others I took using that method. HERE
        When you get a few good shots you can make up a composite image like this one which made the news from Newman in our North West.

Name:	Lightning at Newman 27-10-2015.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	486376
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
        "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Working...
        X