No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumpy John
    commented on 's reply
    This program also does video, though I have not tried it.

• wigz
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the info John.

I didn’t look into image matching programs this time. I’ll have a look at them. There are a lot of similar, but not identical, images as well, and video clips, but it’s worth a try. There are no raw images involved.

• Grumpy John
    replied
    I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the Duplicate & Similar Photo Cleaner program, it found a lot more similar images than VisiPics as it also analysed DNG files. It did not analyse CR2 (Canon) or RW2 (Panasonic) RAW files. IT would probably be worth the $15 to register if you had a lot of images to manage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Forensics 2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	483237

Name:	Photo Forensics 3.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	483238

Leave a comment:

• Grumpy John
    replied
    I don't envy you having to search through all those files for similar/duplicate images Alan. I have had a lot of success with VisiPics, although it doesn't seem to scan RAW files it does a pretty good job on JPEG, TIFF, etc.

A screenshot of a scan I have just done. It took about half an hour.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	VisiPics.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.5 KB ID:	483231

I'm also trying out a program from the Microsoft page called Duplicate & Similar Photo Cleaner, although it loads up as Photo Forensics Free (go figure). I'll let you know how it goes.

Name:	Photo Forensics 1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	483235

Leave a comment:

• wigz
    started a topic Another photo clean-up

Another photo clean-up

I've been a bit busy lately. Before Christmas my middle son asked if I would get the images from their old computer and put them on an portable disk, ready for when they get a new computer.

"Sure", I said.

So I took the hard drive out of their (unused for some months) computer and installed it in mine. Booted up and the drive is recognised and readable - great.

It had about 65,000 images and video clips on it - uh-oh!

Some were in folders named for the subject, some where just dumped into the Pictures folder.

After a bit of trial and error, I decided to:
    • keep most of the the subject folders as is and re-arrange the others into a Year > Month structure based on date taken.. Year > Month > Day created too many folders with just one or two images.
    • Import and restructure onto one of my hard drives using Faststone.
    • Even after changing permissions, some files proved unreadable without individually changing permissions. I'm sure I could have scripted this somehow but it would have taken too long to work out how, so I used backup mode in Robocopy to copy the existing structure to another drive, which reset file permissions, then imported from there to restructure.
    • Clean up each folder by visual inspection. I started using Faststone then changed to Adobe Bridge.
    To further complicate matters, some cameras seemed to have had incorrect dates, and some files were missing date-taken. Quite a few files ended up with the date I copied them as one of the dates. Images came from a number of different phones, a DLSR, screen-shots and downloaded images.

It now looked organised but was still a mess. Someone had imported photos from their phone multiple times, sometimes using different naming conventions. A couple of folders ended up with six copies of each image. Sorting each folder by date, then eyeballing them and checking file size gave a reasonably simple method of deleting duplicates (at least if they were in the same folder). Some folders ended up with around 4000 images

I am now down to 49,000 photos in 310 GB. I do an hour or two at a time then give it away for a day. They don't seem in a hurry for it, which is just as well.

At some point I will decide it is clean enough and it will go back to them for final culling - with written instructions on importing images in future. I could have just copied them across and handed them back as-is, but I don't think they would have had time or knowledge to fix it. They both work and have two young children.

I haven't been on here much lately and now you know why.
Working...
X