Yinka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yinka

About five years ago I was fortunate enough to score a free ticket to a Speedlite workshop. I have forgotten pretty much all I learnt as I have not had a chance to put it in to practice. I shot over 600 photo's that day and these are what I consider the keepers.
    I would really like to revisit this set when my photoshop skills improve.
    C & C would be most appreciated.

#1 Obviously the highlights on the nose, cheek and sunglasses need to go . I'm not sure about the reflection of the softbox in the sunglass lens.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Yinka 1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	455817

Name:	Yinka 2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	455818

Name:	Yinka 3.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	455819

#4 I zoomed in a bit too tight and lost the top of the hat and a bit if the feather on the right. Not sure if there's much I can do about it now.

Name:	Yinka 4.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	455820

Name:	Yinka 5.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	455821
    Last edited by Grumpy John; 19-08-2018, 10:31 AM.
    My Gear

I don't do any studio portraiture John, so I'm not commenting from a point of view of experience. I do a lot of candid, but that's a different ball game.

The highlights you mention don't necessarily detract in my eyes as it suits that particular model. The way she is made up will also have an affect on the reflective nature of her skin. She has that oily copper tone which I find quite attractive in these shots.

Yes the sunglasses don't help at all in the first shot and would probably be better left off. However if I was to have a fiddle with the image, I would reduce that soft box reflection to a 'catch light' and add it to the other lens as well.

Apart from that, not too much wrong I think. (The experts may well disagree but that's ok too)!

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your feedback Greg, always welcome and appreciated. The model was chosen to create the challenge of exposing for dark skin against a variety of backgrounds and clothing. I really learnt a lot from this, but sadly most has been forgotten as I really have not had the chance to put what I learnt in to practice.

These are edits I would do to #1:
    A. Remove the soft box reflection and either leave it dark or add a reflection of something (I used a poolside scene to show what I mean)
    B. Toned down the brighter face areas just a tad.
    C. Crop the top a little.

Name:	image_32891-E.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	455844
    #4, just needed the missing parts on the top and side added to complete those "cut off" parts.

Name:	image_32894-E.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	455847
    All in all very good work - I can appreciate that it would not have been an easy thing to do.
    Attached Files
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

These are edits I would do to #1:
      A. Remove the soft box reflection and either leave it dark or add a reflection of something (I used a poolside scene to show what I mean)
      B. Toned down the brighter face areas just a tad.
      C. Crop the top a little.

Name:	image_32891-E.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	455849
      #4, just needed the missing parts on the top and side added to complete those "cut off" parts.

Name:	image_32894-E.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	455850
      All in all very good work - I can appreciate that it would not have been an easy thing to do.
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        The edits were done from just knowing how things work in PS. The shine removal method from skin is something I developed myself using layers and different blending modes, all made by experimenting. As all images are different, some tuts are just not up to the challenge for what we want. They are a good thing to teach us how things work. What is the course you're going to do?

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        You'll probably learn heaps John. I saw your lists and what you'll learn so if only I was younger I could become a teacher

Nice series. The oblique lighting in #4 shows the imperfections up a bit strongly. I have a bit of trouble fixing this, which you would want to do, if you feel like being kind to the model.
      Last edited by HansE; 20-08-2018, 10:36 AM.
      Better a full bottle in front of me
      than a full frontal lobotomy.
      Hans

Comment

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Hans, I agree the lighting in this shot is not very flattering. Something else for me to learn in Photoshop.

• HansE
        HansE commented
        Editing a comment
        Surprised to see the reply I left as it didn't work at the time.
    Working...
    X