Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race day

Some images from last Sunday's Kart Championships at the Todd Road circuit.

#1 The mad scramble into the first corner after a rolling start.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2019 Kart Championships-0599.jpg Views:	1 Size:	193.6 KB ID:	466012

#2 Because these karts run with a solid rear axle the drivers have to "bounce" the inside tyre on the tarmac otherwise the kart would just go straight. just a couple of mill off the ground is enough.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2019 Kart Championships-0405.jpg Views:	1 Size:	173.3 KB ID:	466011

These three guys put on such a great race, you would be hard pressed to put a cigarette paper between them for the whole race.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2019 Kart Championships-0725.jpg Views:	1 Size:	241.5 KB ID:	466013

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019 Kart Championships-0764.jpg Views:	1 Size:	184.8 KB ID:	466015

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019 Kart Championships-0765.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.8 KB ID:	466014
    Last edited by Grumpy John; 04-09-2019, 09:27 PM.
    My Gear

Nice work John. Good POV for all the shots. Your kit seems to be coping well with the action shots. Any panning photos?
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I did some panning, will post them up later.

Two panning shots. Not the best to show a sense of speed, the shutter was at 1/800, a bit too fast and I was on a hill overlooking the main straight, not the best vantage point. On the plus side the karts are nice and sharp and there is definite wheel motion to be seen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019 Kart Championships-0122.jpg Views:	1 Size:	186.0 KB ID:	466030

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019 Kart Championships-0160.jpg Views:	1 Size:	173.0 KB ID:	466031
    Last edited by Grumpy John; 04-09-2019, 08:13 AM.
    My Gear

Comment

These appear to be displaying some motion John. Maybe they will let you into the infield to do some shots.
      I Shoot A Canon

Comment

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        I would have to be accredited for that to happen. That is a rather involved process requiring among other things a police check as there are children participating in club events. Don't think I'll bother.
        Last edited by Grumpy John; 04-09-2019, 09:25 PM.

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a thought. How close can you get to the karts?

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        Distance from track ranges from ~20 metres to ~50 metres. It's not so much the distance from the karts, but the two straights where the karts are going the fastest are elevated viewing positions.
        Images 1 & 2 were taken through a hole in the fence at the end of the main straight. Images 3, 4, & 5 were taken at the top of the main straight. The two "panning" shots were taken in the main straight.

The track layout with corners numbered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	track-anticlockwise.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	466049
      My Gear

Comment

Thanks John. Looks like it's not easy to get a good spot.
        I Shoot A Canon

Comment

A nice set John looking better than my few efforts at karts.
          The Todd circuit looks fairly similar in size & layout to the last one I worked at (but I bet the facilities were better at Todd) Scrutineering at my last one was a metal shipping container & my office was in a worse state than my shed at home...
          The PFI circuit over hear is a bit bigger & very sophisticated. It may have given me a false impression of what to expect from the series.
          Interesting to see it's exactly the same karting series as I've worked with in the UK

Good vantage points at karting circuits are always hard to come by
          Compulsive photographic dabbler.

Comment

Working...
          X