Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrTango

In Buenos Ayres The security man kept pointing his laser pointer at me. Turd! He must have thought I was filming.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1601_2192.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	473656
    Noise reduction usig the dark mask and levels.
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Did you use Photoshop noise reduction?
    Last edited by Isac; 03-09-2020, 07:17 PM.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• HansE
      HansE commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't.

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it a secret?

Not a secret but you did mention before that you wouldn't use luminosity masks forthe reducing of noise. I used it here by selecting a dark mask and removing all the remaining lights with levels giving a nice dark back ground. Hope we are talking the same language.
    Hans

Comment

I use a freebie Photoshop Plug-In called Boundary Noise Reduction by Colomancer. It's very good. Just copy the layer, use Boundary NR and then use a mask to hide where you don't want the NR.
      I Shoot A Canon

Comment

• HansE
        HansE commented
        Editing a comment
        You can add one of the masks from the luminosity masks provided ?

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure Hans but I cant see why not?

• HansE
        HansE commented
        Editing a comment
        Why I asked is because it isn't obvious how to go about that . Shall have another look. So much easier now that it loads 150 times faster.

I just spent an hour playing with layers and know less now than before. This looks a little better though.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1604_3903.jpg Views:	0 Size:	421.2 KB ID:	473676
      Hans

Comment

I would need to see the original as well Hans - to do some pixel peeping
        Usually the noise is more visible in the darker areas. That being said, I would probably not use a luminosity mask for noise reduction. I use Colormancer as mentioned previously and it's very powerful - as it's a freebie, well worth using.

The images below show a before and after. Because it's so noisy, I ran the filter twice, the first auto setting was 354% and the second was 85%. If I didn't want the reduction in certain areas, I'd just use a standard mask for that, not a luminosity mask. Luminosity masks show all brightness shades from 0 to 255 so I can't see how that would be used for noise. There's 2 types of noise, and most images contain both. They are Colour (often called "Chroma") and Luminance, so a luminosity mask (brightness) may not be able to adjust the colour noise.
        BEFORE - very noisy.

Name:	Before_ColourMancer.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	579.0 KB
ID:	473680
        AFTER - noise gone.

Name:	After_ColorMancer.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	473681
        I Shoot A Canon

Comment

I have probably moved a bit sideways and gone away from just noise and am trying to one create with a fresh layer then add one of the channel masks and use some tools through the mask that are not avaible in the open a create an adjustment or fill layer.
          PS that is a crazy amount of noise!
          Hans

Comment

• HansE
            HansE commented
            Editing a comment
            To be continued. I will put up a scenario with questions. if that's ok?

• Isac
            Isac commented
            Editing a comment
            Be my guest Hans, I love to help out. Terminology is what can cause me to be confused in some instances. When you say you open a new layer, what you are doing is "adding" a new layer. Then there's the question, what type of layer are you adding. There's many different "layers" you can add so for anyone to help out, it's good to know what the layer is called, like when you added a stamp layer. As soon as you say "I added a stamp layer", I know what you did. Also with layers you "Create a new layer" which is usually and "Adjustment" layer. Much to learn but very rewarding. Here's a few helpful bits which give great explanations.
            https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/ho...rs-basics.html
            https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/ho...ent-layer.html
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mEjNGh9N5A
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3dHr5x8Y9I

• HansE
            HansE commented
            Editing a comment
            I will get to that.
        Working...
        X