No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let there be light

G'day all

The camera club I'm with has an inter-club annual comp with others across the NSW east coast and this year's Set Subject is the rather broad heading 'let there be light'. Here's my contributions - at pixel sizes diffferent from my usual internet pixel sizes

1) Flying High
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying high.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	469754

2) Homewards Bound

Name:	Homewards Bound.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	469755

3) Oodnadatta Sunrise

Name:	Oodnadatta sunrise.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	469756

4) Twilight

Name:	Twilight.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	469757

as always, feedback welcome
    Phil

All good images that fit the brief Phil. My personal choice would be #2, closely followed by #3.
    My Gear

Comment

Excellent work Phil! 3 out of 4 is a great effort. IMHO looking through a judge's eyes, I would discount #2 because it appears the bright part is lost with over exposure. #3 for me - a standout. I hope you're OK with that harsh verbal attack
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

I like them all. Think that #2 required a bit more thought.

Name:	ScreenHunter-217.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	469761
        Better a full bottle in front of me
        than a full frontal lobotomy.
        Hans

Comment

G'day fellas

Thanks for the feedback - and Hans, that's an excellent crop idea

Phil

Comment

Just my 2 cents worth, but I really like #2 in its original form. The Brief is "let there be light" and there is no argument that there is light in the image. It conveys to me an ethereal feel, as if there is something of great force about to come in to view. Maybe just the Sun, maybe the saviour of the human race, to me it conveys the hope that every new day brings.

Okay that's the end of the new age touchy feely stuff from me.
            My Gear

Comment

Thanks GJ for your thoughts ~ and yes, it is a tossup as to which view is the more "visually impressive"

As the judges often / always seem to downgrade any image showing bleached / very-white parts I decided to follow Hans' suggestion and resubmit the pic in its cropped form
              Now - time will tell ... but I've got about a 3-month wait to find out

Phil

Comment

A thought on photo competitions - IMHO they are only useful if the judge gives a critique on every image submitted, to me they are only a tool in advancing my photographic and PP skills. I don't care if I don't win, or even place, what I do want is an honest evaluation of the image submitted.

A camera club I was once in had a similar competition with the brief being light, this was my submission:

Name:	White Hot.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	469778

The judge hated it, but gave no feedback as to how I could have improved it (in his eye), most of the members of the club were impressed with it. This was the last competition I ever entered.
                My Gear

Comment

G'day GJ

Yeah - I well understand mate ... judges are a pack of idiots except for the one you have paid beforehand

On one occasion years ago after a judging session, a woman came up to me and gave me a serve ~ I had disregarded her entry and started to insert my own ideas over hers, and she was pi$$ed that I had failed to examine her entry "in the manner that it was submitted". She reminded me that as the judge, it was my job to consider the entry as submitted and as it matched the criteria, not as to how I would have done it if I had been doing it

Yep - we all learn from our stuff ups
                  Phil

Comment

Working...
                  X