Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketch Artist Workflow and Adjustments

This is the look the action produced before adjustments.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KaBloom Sketch Action Before Adjustments.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	477661

Here is a breakdown of how I achieved the final look on the image here.

Masking for the Brush Layer. I painted white around the border hoping to produce some sort of frame. It worked .

Name:	Mask.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	477659

The layers panel.

Name:	Layer 1 & 2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	477660

I was pretty happy with the effect but I didn't like the background as it looked too sparse.
    I played around with the colour palette until I found a colour that I was happy with. This is the Hex code for the colour I was happy with #bdb0de.
    I also changed the blend mode from Normal to Dissolve and dropped the Opacity from 100% to 71%

Name:	BG Colour.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	477662

Name:	Dissolve.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	477663

Changing these settings also affected the appearance of the "inside lines", although perhaps there is certain amount of randomness as to how the lines are generated.

Any and all questions welcome.
    My Gear

It's a very complex action John and you've got it sussed to be able to manipulate the various layers to get what you want. Nice job. I don't mind the BG missing because when you do a quick sketch the BG is usually omitted. Not a big fan with this particular effect but it looks like you're having a real crack. Keep at it.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      It's when the penny drops that I get the biggest buzz. I then have the knowledge to do even more with Photoshop. These new actions that I'm playing around with really show the power of layers and the new possibilities that they open.

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      You're absolutely right about the buzz factor. I can see you are starting to appreciate the power that lies in layers (and don't forget Masks!). When you get to grips with how actions are created, the next step is to create your own to improve your workflow. I did an edit for a lady today and she wanted her photo to appear like it was snowing. I wrote an action ages ago to create the snow so it was an easy edit. I'll post in:
      https://www.ausph.com/forum/technica...24-adding-snow
      Last edited by Isac; 13-04-2021, 07:33 PM.

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I should have mentioned masks as well. Some of the layer/mask combo's in these actions are so subtle you have to turn them all off and then turn them on one at a time to fully appreciate the effect they have on the finished image. Which reminds me that I must have a look at that portrait with the lines running through it. I'll do it now.
Working...
X