No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairy Terns

These birds really are fairy sized. They are becoming quite scarce and it's quite a privilege to see them. The light was very grey, between clouds and smoke haze here.

Fairy tern feeding chick by Joanne, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
    Haven't been there, not done that.
    Jo

Difficult to get them crisp in low light. They look very similar to the terns we get here.

Comment

• Phoenix
      Phoenix commented
      Editing a comment
      If they are fairy terns they are about a quarter of the size of your regular silver gull. Thanks for commenting and looking.

The fish is interesting.
    Good to see things like this (where's the thumbs up thingy?) .Any CC I can offer you already know.

Comment

• Phoenix
      Phoenix commented
      Editing a comment
      Love seeing a fish still wriggling in a beak. Thank you for looking and commenting Mark.
      Last edited by Phoenix; 13-01-2016, 03:15 PM.

Great story in these wonderful shots Jo. Who cares about the light, when you get rare shots like this? At least there's still fish for them to feed on (for now).
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

• Phoenix
      Phoenix commented
      Editing a comment
      Biggest issue where this was taken are people using the area for recreation (windsurfers) and crabbers and the selling off of "estuary side" land. People don't know a fairy tern from a seagull and think it's ok to let their dogs chase birds. Real shame as this is RAMSAR listed area, and next to nothing is being done to preserve the animal inhabitants. Our greedy WA Government would barbecue the last dodo for $$$.

Nice series Jo. Pity about the light but still tell a good story. I particularly like #3 - looks like a lecture is being delivered.

Comment

• Phoenix
      Phoenix commented
      Editing a comment
      , does too,,,go get me anchovies I'm sick of these white baits.

I have been corrected, these two are courting! :-)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
    Haven't been there, not done that.
    Jo

Comment

• Mark L
      Mark L commented
      Editing a comment
      That makes sense. It happens with many birds that the male offers inducements (food) to the female as a way to get that mating thing happening.
Working...
X