Collapse
No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went back and didn't scare them off and got closer. :-)

Most of these were taken with me laying on my belly (Next to Shelley (Pearson). One stage I was pooped on. Was a lucky poop no doubt. Shelley takes the best bird shots of anyone I know.. so I am putting these up before I see any of hers from the same day.

Please feel free to pick them to pieces.

if you click on these you can see them in larger detail in Flickr.

I had forgotten to adjust my setting for this dark cormorant as I'd been shooting bright white birds.. So bit blurry. Just love the pov though. Removed this one. Really wasn't good enough.

Never get sick of seeing the wide wings.
    lttke egret comes in to land by Joanne, on Flickr

Anyway it lands near this gull who tries to compare wings.
    Seagull compares wings by Joanne, on Flickr

I suspect the gull is a bit jelous and tries to photobomb to the egrets disgust. You can see the gulls feathers intertwined with the egrets.

Bit of jelousy perhaps? by Joanne, on Flickr

This little egret seems a bit concerned about BO

little egret preening by Joanne, on Flickr
    Last edited by Phoenix; 18-01-2016, 10:40 PM.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
    Haven't been there, not done that.
    Jo

It all makes sense now as your bird photography has improved out of sight. If you have Shelly as a shooting companion you are one lucky photographer (so jealous). I agree, she takes some of the best birds photos I've seen.

#2 would be my favourite then #4. Love the low pov and your control of the whites.
    Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

• Phoenix
      Phoenix commented
      Editing a comment
      I just happen to run into her here and there. She seems really nice but I am quite intimidated by her.

The conversations go a bit like this.

Me "Oh my, so sorry I didn't see you". (I swear she is invisible).
      Shelley "that's alright I have some lovely shots anyway of the rare patagonian tuna faced blue monkey bird.

Me "Oh look an Ibis!" I say excitedly
      "I don't do Ibis", says Shelley

Shelley "Isn't it gorgeous here...look at that "insert some name of a rare pelagic wader here". Did you get a shot?
      Me "Err... did it have feathers?"

We compare captures on the screen sometimes of birds we have both been shooting.
      "Oh my god, is this the same bird", I think when I see hers" wishing there was some way out of showing what I have in mine. I contemplate dropping my camera into the water and making it look like an accident.

Shelley always is going on about her 'histogram". (I am sure she is being helpful). She and I shoot the same bird..hers is glowing with rimmed light, has a catch light, birds looking straight at her and has a fish in its beak, and its wings spread. Every perfect detail is present, there are no distractions and its a whole lot closer. Mine includes a pair of blurry legs a blown chest and a branch that sits over the birds face and it all looks like it was shot like the bird resides in the Austrian (not Australian) alps.

Please don't feel jealous of me!
      Last edited by Phoenix; 18-01-2016, 10:48 PM.

• Alan
      Alan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jo

Sorry for not replying - had a few other thing on my plate.

Loved your reply - made me laugh

I've been in your same position. A well known Canberra Bird tog shared a walk with me around some local wetlands. Huge Canon lens - hand held. Saw and photographed (really well), more birds in Focus than I scared off with my little lens/camera on a big tripod.

I'm an occasional poster on Feathers and Photos, but feel quite intimated at times when I see the standard of photos. IMHO you have reached a standard where you should consider posting some photos up there. I've learned a lot

Cheers

• Phoenix
      Phoenix commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Caralan, I am glad I am not alone. I was a bit worried that I just sounded mean and envious.
      I have put a couple of images in the Feathers and Photos sight after Shelley suggested I put them in the Bird of the Month section.
      Last edited by Phoenix; 21-01-2016, 09:08 PM.

Really nice.. Worth getting a bit of poop down your front!

Comment

• Phoenix
      Phoenix commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Greg. I was on my belly so poop on my back.. better than in the hair or once I was totally blinded by a shot from a seagull in the eye. Talk about gritty!

I think it comes natural to some birders Jo and Shelley is that type. You are close behind her and I have seen over the years, a huge improvement in your work. Keep at it and I'm sure will become a natural too. We all improve over time but some take a little longer than others. Me .... mmmmm .... time will tell.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

• Phoenix
      Phoenix commented
      Editing a comment
      Isac I suspect birders are a special lot. Shelley exudes passion for her birds and her bird photography. No matter what time I arrive anywhere, she's always there first and really is inspirational and very kind. You can see she loves watching them as much as photographing them. A camera gives a purpose for being with the birds.
      Last edited by Phoenix; 18-01-2016, 11:15 PM.

Well Jo, I think your comment to Alan's post is nearly as good as some of the photos you posted (means them photos are pretty good).
    Can't see the first and the next two are a highlight.

Comment

• Phoenix
      Phoenix commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mark for your kind comment.. I was laughing at my silliness as I wrote it and am glad you picked up on it. Although there is some exaggeration it is basically about how it goes (although it's spread over about 4 years).
      Last edited by Phoenix; 18-01-2016, 11:21 PM.

You're right Shelley sets the standard for bird photography but what a wonderful experience to meet and shoot with her. I often wondered if you two had come across one another when I saw you were from the same area.

#1 - love the spread wings but it just looks a little dark on my screen.
    #2 - well timed to capture the wings like this.
    #3 - lovely detail in those wings and yes the egret does look disgusted.
    #4 - My favourite of these - like the composition, detail in the egret and nicely oof background.

Comment

• Phoenix
      Phoenix commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you PP for taking the time to look and comment. I've taken aboard your comment about it being dark. :-)

"Most of these were taken with me laying on my belly (Next to Shelley (Pearson). One stage I was pooped on."

You really should speak to Shelley about that!

Wonderful series btw.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

• Phoenix
      Phoenix commented
      Editing a comment
      would be a pleasure to be pooped on by Shelley. Might help me grow...photographically.
      Last edited by Phoenix; 21-01-2016, 11:57 AM.
Working...
X