No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weekend at the local lake

Not much in the way of variety of birdlife down at the lake at the moment, what with winter making its presence felt. The main reason for the visit this weekend was to try out my new Sigma 150-600 f5.0/6.3. It is a beast and so different to the 70-200. On Saturday I made the mistake of leaving the OS system switched off and I was shooting at too low shutter speed. Sunday I went back with the camera set on manual f8.0, 1/1000 sec and ISO set to auto and the OS switched on.

Saturdays images
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Siggy 100-600 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	146.5 KB ID:	464832

#2 I'm pretty impressed that the camera/lens was able to focus effectively through the reeds.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Siggy 100-600 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	132.9 KB ID:	464833

Click image for larger version  Name:	Siggy 100-600 12.jpg Views:	2 Size:	143.6 KB ID:	464834

Sunday

Click image for larger version  Name:	Siggy 100-600 15.jpg Views:	1 Size:	137.7 KB ID:	464835

at %100
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Siggy 100-600 15 100pc.jpg Views:	1 Size:	162.6 KB ID:	464836

Click image for larger version  Name:	Siggy 100-600 17.jpg Views:	1 Size:	168.6 KB ID:	464837

At %100
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Siggy 100-600 17 100pc.jpg Views:	1 Size:	165.1 KB ID:	464838

I don't think our lake will dry out to the extent that Isac 's lake did. We are facing a different problem, urban encroachment, I'm not sure that the birdlife will continue to visit when this area becomes fully developed.

The area marked in red has roads and the housing lots have been marked out, I don't know when they will start on the other area, but I'm guessing it won't be long.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Lake.jpg Views:	1 Size:	249.5 KB ID:	464839

Last edited by Grumpy John; 07-05-2020, 09:03 PM.
    My Gear

congrats on the new lens, look up for the job.
    little pied cormorant is a ripper shot with background and light. nice work
    Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Stephen, I've got a long way to go before I get confident with this lens it is so much more unforgiving than the 70-200. It will be quite a while before I even attempt BIF. Gotta crawl before you can walk, I'm a long way off running

Gotta be happy with that John. Looks like the lens lens is definitely doing what you wanted.
    Agree with Stephen about #3 being the pick.
    Sony A7rii
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Toddy. Yes I'm quite pleased with #3, if I can get images like that the majority of the time I'll be a very happy camper. Next step, BIF, wish me luck.
      Last edited by Grumpy John; 17-06-2019, 05:08 PM.

It's #3 for me too John.

i don't have an artistic bone in my body so want to concentrate on birds and aircraft where I have a subject. I have just recently purchased the Sigma 150-500 while it is not a canon from what I have read if you keep around f7 and don't go right to the extremes of the focal length the results are more than acceptable. Also purchased a cheap gimbal head for the tripod as I don't believe I would have any chance of hand holding at the long end. Time will tell as the weather & light have been too poor to give it a go.
    Cheers
    Ross

Comment

#3, the cormorant, is wonderful and shows the value and results you can expect in the future. Enjoy the new toy.

What if there were no Hypothetical questions?
      CC always welcomed, feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time - Thanks.

Comment

John, as you increase focal length, any shortcomings you have in technique will be found out. a little bit of camera shake goes a long way at 600mm as does a rough shutter realease, so you work on that stuff and improve. makes you better with shorter lenses also. even mirror slap can be an issue with a big lens on. you see tripod users with their hand on the lens barrel halfway along to help reduce tthat also. all part of the learning process and fun
        Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Good luck with the BIF shots John, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time - looking forward to seeing what you get.
          These are a couple I took with my siggy 150-500. Far from being a high quality lens but good enough for me.

Whistling Kite
          -------------------
          EOS 7D - Sigma 150-500
          1/800 sec / Shutter priority / f:6.3 / ISO:160 / 500 mm / Metering Mode:Evaluative
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2761-Whistling-Kite.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	464902

Seagull
          ----------
          EOS 7D - Sigma 150-500
          1/1600 sec / Shutter priority / f:7.1 / ISO:125 / 500 mm / Metering Mode: Spot
          Click image for larger version

Name:	3079-Gull-in-Flight.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	464901
          I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
          "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Thank you all so much for the kind words. Plenty of reading, youtubing and practice coming up for me over the next couple of months.
            My Gear

Comment

Working...
            X