No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jawbone Flora & Fauna Reserve

This morning I met up with a bird photography group that I found online at their monthly outing at Jawbone Flora and Fauna Reserve. It was a bleak and miserable outing with constant heavy drizzle and a dark sky making selecting settings difficult, for me at least. The only bonus was that there were no sharp shadows to contend with.
    This is a fantastic location with a great variety of birds on view, I will definitely be going back when the weather is a bit more hospitable.

I have made an attempt to identify the birds in these images, please let me know if I got any wrong.

#1 Pied Stilt. I really do apologise for the IQ on this one, just posted for identification purposes.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Pied Stilt.jpg Views:	32 Size:	234.8 KB ID:	469423

#2 I think that these are Grey Teal, but I'm probably wrong
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Grey Teal 1.jpg Views:	32 Size:	214.3 KB ID:	469424

#3 Magpie Geese???? I only have images of these guys flying away from the camera, maybe they are in a witness protection program
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Magpie Goose 3.jpg Views:	31 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	469425

#4 2 x Pacific Blacks and 2 x Grey Teal.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Jawbone 17.jpg Views:	30 Size:	287.7 KB ID:	469426

I will post some more images later today.
    Last edited by Grumpy John; 28-05-2020, 10:50 AM.
    My Gear

Some more from Jawbone.

#5 Pied Cormorant. Getting ready for a big night out.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Jawbone 25.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	469456

#6 Royal Spoonbill.

Name:	Royal Spoonbill.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	469457

#7 Leave us alone, no one here wants their photo taken. Could the brown ducks with the black head be Australasian Shellduck's?

Name:	Jawbone 70.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	469458

#8 Australasian Swamphen.

Name:	Australasian Swamphen 1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	469459
    My Gear

Comment

You have some correct John. Just confirming and correcting some of them.
      #1 - Black-winged Stilt
      #2 - Pink Eared Duck (Zebra Duck)
      #4 - Grey Teal
      #5 - Pied Cormorant
      #7 - Hardhead Duck
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Thanks Isac, this bird identification lark (no pun intended) can get confusing.
        From Wikipedia.
        "The black-winged stilt (Himantopus himantopus) is a widely distributed very long-legged wader in the avocet and stilt family (Recurvirostridae). The scientific name H. himantopus was formerly applied to a single, almost cosmopolitan species. It is now normally applied to the form that is widespread in Eurasia and Africa and which was formerly regarded as the nominate subspecies of Himantopus himantopus sensu lato. The scientific name Himantopus comes from the Greek meaning "strap foot" or "thong foot".[2] Most sources today accept 2–4 species.[3][4][5][6][7][8]It is sometimes called pied stilt, but that name is now reserved for the Australian species, Himantopus leucocephalus."

Originally posted by Isac View Post
        You have some correct John. Just confirming and correcting some of them.
        #1 - Black-winged Stilt
        #2 - Pink Eared Duck (Zebra Duck) Looks the same as #4 which you are calling a Grey Teal. I'm assuming that the one top left is a Pacific Black
        #4 - Grey Teal
        #5 - Pied Cormorant
        #7 - Hardhead Duck
        My Gear

Comment

• Grumpy John
          Grumpy John commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, okay.

• Grumpy John
          Grumpy John commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll have to go and fix up my Metadata now . Thanks for that Isac, I did not look hard enough, but you are right they are completely different. I can see why the Pink Eared is also called a Zebra Duck.

• Isac
          Isac commented
          Editing a comment
          At our age we must always make allowances John, so I will in this case
      Working...
      X