Clear All

• Yellow Billed Spoonbill ...

... flying over the lake.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6501-Spoonbill.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	486353
    Last edited by Isac; 19-05-2022, 01:47 PM.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Nice one Isac. Nice and sharp and a good angle - looks like it is flying slightly towards your and the wing position shows off the feathers. The whites appear to be a bit hot in a couple of spots, which is difficult to avoid in bright sun on white birds. Personally I would prefer a slightly looser crop.
    Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Alan. It used my BIF settings which are programmed into a mode dial selection, so it's fast and easy to get to it. Burst at 10 FPS with auto tracking using single point and surround focus. The 7Dii was designed for that sort of action and it works great.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II | Shutter priority | f/6.3 | 1/2000 sec | ISO 500 | 400 mm | Metering: Evaluative | -0.33 EV | Lens: TAMRON 18-400mm F/3.5-6.3

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      That's all good Isac, but no camera setting will help you keep all of the bird in the frame when it almost fills it. Of course 10 fps improves your chances.

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree Alan, some were some parts out of frame and 2 were in frame, so for 1 burst, the result at 20% gives me a couple of keepers

+1 to Alan's comments
    10/10 from me

Phil

Comment

I am not as I have said as technical as other here and I can't talk about things as Alan has as I don't have that knowledge.
      So I go by what I like and I do like it and it is the 1st time I have noticed that they have got black wing tips.
      So you do learn new things on a daily basis, and I like the shot as take and posted.

Comment

I find it easier to photograph racing cars and motorcycles than birds. Full marks. I do find they look better standing in a pond. Looks a bit ungainly IMHO
        Better a full bottle in front of me
        than a full frontal lobotomy.
        Hans

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
          +1 to Alan's comments. 10/10 from me. Phil
          Cheers Phil. It's nice to get a good one now and then.

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
          I am not as I have said as technical as other here and I can't talk about things as Alan has as I don't have that knowledge. So I go by what I like and I do like it and it is the 1st time I have noticed that they have got black wing tips.So you do learn new things on a daily basis, and I like the shot as take and posted.
          Than you Ralph. Alan was indicating that when you have a subject in motion, it needs some space around it to show the location, motion and direction. Sometimes this is referred to as positive and negative space. Using the standard rule for framing, you give extra space in front of the moving object to show where it is heading (positive space) and you need less area behind the subject which is called negative space. Most rules can be broken but with objects in motion it is pretty well supported.

Originally posted by HansE View Post
          I find it easier to photograph racing cars and motorcycles than birds. Full marks. I do find they look better standing in a pond. Looks a bit ungainly IMHO
          Cheers Hans. I must say cars and bikes are much easier than birds because you know where they will be in front of you. I just that I love the challenge of BIF photography. The spoony does look a bit ungainly as do pelicans, but they are what they are I guess Their heads look small for their body which doesn't help with the aesthetics.
          I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
          "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Working...
          X