All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isac
    commented on 's reply
    That's what we call them. I presume monkey belong to monkeys but is there something else known by that name?

• Isac
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Brad. They all gather on a branch at one end and then on command fly to the other end to another branch - it's a 60 metre flight. It's crazy in the aviary - you feel the wind when they fly past you,

• Isac
    commented on 's reply
    Cheers mate. I'll post some more soon. The Red Tails and Carnaby's have a much wider and shorter beak and just smash the nuts to get the seeds. You can always tell by the honkey nuts on the ground which variety has been feeding.

• AlfandBen
    replied
    brilliant first shot and thanks for the picture of Honkey nuts. I thought perhaps you had mis-spelt monkey nuts.

Leave a comment:

• Ironwood
    replied
    That’s an exceptionally good photo Isac.

Leave a comment:

• Grumpy John
    replied
    Great images and a very interesting story Isac. I had never heard of Baudin's Cockatoo, so I am more the wiser now.

Leave a comment:

• Isac
    started a topic Baudin's Black Cockatoo

Baudin's Black Cockatoo

While I was a volunteer at Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre in the hills south east of Perth, I was lucky enough to be able to take hundreds of photos of our endemic black cockatoos - Forrest Red Tail, Carnaby's and Baudin's. The Red Tails are listed as Vulnerable and the Carnaby's and Baudin's are now listed as Endangered. I used to go into the pre-release flight aviary and photograph these magnificent birds in flight before they were released back into the wild, mostly in the same spot where they were found either injured or in stress.
    This is a rarer Baudin's Cockatoo. They have a very long sharp beak, which they use to scoop out the seeds in honkey nuts that grow in the gum trees. They are also called the Long-Billed Black Cockatoo.

#1 - Baudin's Black Cockatoo
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0221-Baudins_Black_Cockatoo.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	490794
    #2 - Honkey Nuts - for our international friends.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0566-Honkey-Nuts.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	490795
Working...
X