Clear All

• Dipper in the Gwilli

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9122226-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME (Large).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	490905

He was quite happy to pose for me...:-)

Nice shot. Kinda blends into the background a bit.
    Fujifilm X-T5, XF16-80 f/4, XF70-300 f/4-5.6, XF23 f/2, XF35 f/2, XF150-600 f/5.6-8, and a random assortment of 35mm film cameras.

Comment

I agree with David on the BG but that's the thing about wildlife shots, you get what you can, when you can. I think a tighter crop would really help and a good amount of shadows lift helps with the background. Boosted he colours on the bird and did some dodging as well to brighten the white feathers.
      I see you used Centre Weighted Average, most times for birds I would use spot metering.
      I hope you don't mind my edit. It would be much better on the original sized image.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_41457.jpg Views:	0 Size:	290.2 KB ID:	490917
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9122509-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME-2 (Large).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	490945

Thanks for comments and advice. The dipper kept coming towards me, this is one of the last photos, he was almost under my feet...:-)

Comment

I prefer the second shot as it shows more detail and separation from the background. A shadows lift would probably improve it too.
          Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

Much better shot. Shadows (as Alan suggested) or a bit of dodging on the bird would lift it.
            I have a great Dodge & Burn action for Photoshop if you want it (freebie). It's included with the Action Set called "Isac Images LUMINOSITY MASKS".
            Just unzip the file and double click on both the ATN and ABR files to install the action and required brushes.
            Download HERE or from the Photoshop Tab on my website.

Just a quick tip to reset your brushes back to 100% Flow and Opacity: With the brush tool selected hit "0" Zero on the top number key and then hold SHIFT and hit "0" again.

Let me know how you get on or if you need any help.
            Cheers, Greg.
            I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
            "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

I dont mind the original image as posted, any closer crops are revealing issues with the image quality.

the reposts have perhaps had a bit too much shadow lift and looks somewhat unnatural to my eyes.

wondering what sort of crop was involved with the original image too.
              Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	P9122509-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME-2 (Small).jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.8 KB ID:	491187

This is the unprocessed original. So not too much of a crop...:-)

Comment

I like the 1st image the most.

Are you able to get the camera lowest to the ground? It would remove the water as the predominant background and reduce the camouflaging effect of the plumage.

Comment

• MJ224
                    MJ224 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for comments. I was on a bridge, so lowering the camera would not make much effect. Isac seems to made the best of the photo..:-)

• Isac
                    Isac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're very kind Mark. The results would be much better on the larger image.
                Working...
                X