Collapse
No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotted Wood Kingfisher (Actenoides lindsayi)

Spotted Wood Kingfisher (Actenoides lindsayi) by Paolo Dolina, on Flickr

A striking medium-sized kingfisher of lowland and foothill forest. Whitish below with dark scaling and dark green above with buff spotting. Bill bicolored, black above and orange below. Note the broad black band through the eye, reaching the back of the head, and the green crown and rump. Male has a full rufous collar, throat, and band below the eye, as well as a bright blue moustache and band behind the eye that are green in the female. Unmistakable in its range. Song, given at dawn, consists of a single downslurred whistle, “wee-ooo,” repeated every few seconds.

Source: https://ebird.org/species/spokin1?siteLanguage=en_PH

A super photo for certain. They are fairly tame I assume..:-)

Comment

Thanks MJ! When I go birding I hire a guide or a fellow birder brings me a long with their trip. So two sets of eyes spotting these birds becomes easier.

Comment

Beautiful bird portrait, sharp and great detail.

Comment

That is a beautiful bird. Excellent shot!
          Fujifilm X-T5, XF16-80 f/4, XF70-300 f/4-5.6, XF23 f/2, XF35 f/2, XF150-600 f/5.6-8, and a random assortment of 35mm film cameras.

Comment

I agree with the more eyes to spot birds helps but saying this where I am if you have too many people the sounds of peoples walking can scare birds off. So I try to go out with only one other person as this seems to work the best in the bush land where I am.
            To your actual shot I would not change it in any way at all. You have done a good job on it and well done.

Comment

• dolina
              dolina commented
              Editing a comment
              Ralph,

Thank you and good point. To improve the odds of a productive day got no choice but be cooperative especially if the spot is open to the public.

Trivia: In the Philippine bird watcher community the term "well done" refers to overly processed images that is reminiscent to steak that is "well done". ;-) Just sharing that little unique localised word play. I personally do not use it to any Filipino bird photographers because I did not get into the hobby to be mean to hard headed old coots. Lol

I just skip their work to save time. ;-)

Excellent portrait, sharp with lots of detail and good colour.
            Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

Thank you

Alf
              David
              Alan

Comment

good portrait of the bird. well worth fixing the distractions in this image too
                Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Wonderful image. Makes our sacred kingfisher look rather ho-hum. I agree with avkomp about the background - making it all the one green colour would make it a gem.
                  I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
                  "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Working...
                  X