No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gang gang pair

we have been hearing gang gang cockatoos quite a bit latey but you not see them except for a pair that would fly over near sundown,
    seen a few in deep cover so no pix. but on my birthday we could have a lot of calling in the bush and found half a dozen of them.
    backlit in bright sun but there they were and some moved into the open here and there. I got a few pix of their juvi too but not in clear
    tough shooting conditions really. cos the background was plus 2 ev brighter than the birds. not in my wildest dreams would you expect to use full flash around midday, so didnt have it with me.
    all I could do as up exposure to plus 2 to get the bird and do selective highlight reduction on the background and exposure reduction also on background in post.
    not really close so these are at 1000mm. full frame in landscape but cropped to portrait. male first then female
    both shots d5 600f4 tc17 (1000mm) 1/500 f8 iso 1600
    Click image for larger version

Name:	gang gang 9312.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	499748 Click image for larger version

Name:	gang gang 9328.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	499749
    Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Good eye contact and detail.
    A HAPPY PENTAX USER

Comment

Stunning photos Stephen, in not so friendly conditions.

The gang-gang cockatoo is the fauna emblem of the A.C.T. We don't have them here in the West.
      Their population has dropped by around 70% in the last 20 years and took a hit with habitat loss during the 2019–20 Australian bushfire season where more than 30% were lost. As a result, they are now listed as endangered under the threatened fauna of Australia. Such a sad thing for our beautiful native birds.

Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre, near where I live, do an online auction to raise funds and I've been photographing all the items which are shown on their Facebook page. One item is being auctioned is a fabulous artwork by Lenny Pelling from Criterarty of Gang Gang Cockatoos.
      This is the item:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Lenny-Pelling-Gang-gang-cockatoos.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	499769
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

we arent in the act but not too far away. we are fortunate to have them on this place. we have 7 cockatoo species on here.
        seem to be down on glossy blacks despite being lots of casuarina nuts around for them.
        having said that, everywhere is green around here with the global warming so they could go anywhere to get food.
        probably more yellow tails around than usual, but again banksias everywhere for them.
        definitely seeing more of gang gangs and yellowtails

Comment

Excellent poses and detail on the birds Stephen. Well done given the difficult light. I wonder if a slight desaturation of the background would give it a more natural look.
          Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

you may be right about the desat of the background. will have a look at it soonish

Comment

repost with the background desat 50 and exposure reduced on b/g a tad. I think it helps
              funny never thought about doing the desat on b/g with these pix

Name:	gang gang 9312 sky desat.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	499780

Name:	gang gang 9328 background desat.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	499781

Comment

• wigz
                wigz commented
                Editing a comment
                I think that looks much more natural.

whilst at it, another male down a bit lower. didnt mind the branches framing this guy.

Name:	gang gang 9294.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	499783

Comment

• Isac
                Isac commented
                Editing a comment
                I like the use of the tree and branches for framing, nice and natural. I would remove the single leaf next to its chest.

here is a quick and dirty with the leaf removed. should have done it before. agree it looks better with some more effort................. Click image for larger version

Name:	gang gang 9294 leaf cloned.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	499795

Comment

• Isac
                Isac commented
                Editing a comment
                Good edit.

Beautiful birds and great shots.
              Fujifilm X-T5, XF16-80 f/4, XF70-300 f/4-5.6, XF23 f/2, XF35 f/2, XF150-600 f/5.6-8, and a random assortment of 35mm film cameras.

Comment

Working...
              X