Clear All

• Masters

Rowing, Lake Barrington.

Click image for larger version

Name:	R 7.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	451677

I like this but I'm unsure of B&W on water. Especially if you get those vibrant blues it seems a waste. What was the thought process behind the B&W treatment?
    Sony A7rii
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

Originally posted by Toddyh View Post
      I like this but I'm unsure of B&W on water. Especially if you get those vibrant blues it seems a waste. What was the thought process behind the B&W treatment?

Thanks Toddy, when I'm out taking photographs of an event I use all angles and as many variations on the theme as I can. This particular angle is taken almost directly into the sun on a lake which is essentially brown coloured. The result I got was a lot of twinkle on the water and a lot of shade on the rowers. My original idea was to do it as a silhouette.

The Black and white conversion allowed me to highlight the rowers as subjects and lift the shadows in a way that didn't detract from the rest of the image. It worked for me and I do have plenty of colour versions of the event, some of which I've already posted on this Forum.

Comment

Thanks Greg. Appreciate the detailed response and understand the image better now.
        A silhouette would have been interesting too.
        Sony A7rii

Comment

Originally posted by Toddyh View Post
          Thanks Greg. Appreciate the detailed response and understand the image better now.
          A silhouette would have been interesting too.
          I did do a semi silhouette with tongue in cheek. It was a Masters event with boat loads of oldies, so I did one up with that 'old look' about it.

Name:	R3rs.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	451694

Comment

I actually like that Greg. If those skulls weren't so modern looking it could have passed for an oldie for sure.
            Sony A7rii

Comment

It look cold in the B&W but I like it.
              Lloyd
              Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
              Flickr
              Smugmug

Comment

Originally posted by LJG View Post
                It look cold in the B&W but I like it.
                The water was cold, but the sun nice.. with competitors from all over Australia and New Zealand the weather was very kind.

Name:	Brisbane..jpg
Views:	39
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	451702

Comment

Working...
                X