Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infra red effect

I was aiming for an infra red effect on this old truck at Lightning Ridge.
    Success, or not?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Truck.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	461112
    My Gear

Not sure about infra red I would be thinking it is more noir but I like the effect for this image for something different.

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your input K1W1.

• Ozzie_Traveller
      Ozzie_Traveller commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah John - I'm with K1W1 here .... like the visuals but can't comment re the supposed IR effect
      Phil

I’m not sure what infra red is supposed to look like, but I like the look you have achieved.
    Are you happy with it ?

Edit- the only thing I could add, is I think it could have done with a little bit more space in front of the truck, not a big problem though.
    Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what content aware scale is for

Originally posted by Ironwood View Post
    I’m not sure what infra red is supposed to look like, .......................................
    I do like the look of it Brad.

Don't watch the whole thing (unless you want to) 7:30 in is the look I was aiming for.

My Gear

Comment

Maybe now?

Name:	Old Truck (IR Soft).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	461124
      My Gear

Comment

• Ironwood
        Ironwood commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe it looks more like infrared but I like the first one better, probably because it has more detail.

I posted a reply but it disappeared.
      It might look more like infrared, but I like the first one better, I think because it has more detail.
      Cheers, Brad.

Comment

First version for me.

Comment

Definitely #1 John, like Ironwood said a lot better detail. IR doesn't work for all images though but this one seems OK. It works best with lots of green trees and lovely deep blue skies. Has your original image got that vignette? Here's one I played with and added selective colour to the rusty truck.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	PB070076-Swan-Valley-Winery-Truck.jpg Views:	1 Size:	307.7 KB ID:	461131
          Last edited by Isac; 25-12-2018, 08:46 AM.
          I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
          "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

The original image, if anyone wants to have a play.

Name:	Old Truck 0.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	461135
            My Gear

Comment

I revisited this image and tried a different workflow.

#1 Using Nic Silver Effex - IR Normal, without adding vignette and other PP after the Nic action.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Old Truck Nic Silver Effex IR Normal.jpg Views:	1 Size:	194.2 KB ID:	461148

#2 Using Nic Silver Effex - IR Soft, without adding vignette and other PP after the Nic action.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Old Truck Nic Silver Effex IR Soft.jpg Views:	1 Size:	180.0 KB ID:	461149

#3 Following the tutorial in post #4.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Old Truck Manual IR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	191.4 KB ID:	461150

No one commented about the truck going uphill, but I straightened it anyway.
              My Gear

Comment

They look more IR to me than the original post.

Comment

• Grumpy John
                  Grumpy John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks K1W1, I kept is simple this time. The previous efforts were over processed and it showed.

All better results John. NIK is a powerful tool. I've played with IR before and I got reasonably good results by removing shadows, dropping highlights and really saturating the image, like this:

Name:	Old-Truck-0-Ea.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	461157

To get this:

Name:	Old-Truck-0-Eb.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	461159
                Then just adding the black and white adjustment layer and playing with the sliders, like this:

Name:	Old-Truck-0-IRa.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	461158
                To get this:

Name:	Old-Truck-0-IRb.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	461160
                Another take is adding a bit of colour by reducing the opacity of the B&W layer. This is at 60%:

Name:	Old-Truck-0-IR-COL.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	461161
                Just playing and it's all good fun. Merry Christmas!!
                I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
                "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• Grumpy John
                  Grumpy John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's always good to get a different perspective on things Isac, your take on how to do things is always appreciated.
                  Merry Christmas to you and your family also. Just playing around till the family arrive, then I won't get a minute to myself.

I'm not normally a fan of simulated IR, but it has worked well in this case, and certainly gives an IR look.
                My beef with simulated IR is it tries to show what infra red a subject reflects based on the visual colours. While there is in fact little or no relationship between the two. It's like trying to predict the blue channel of an image based purely on the red & green info.

When shooting IR I have been able to see through inks, see through sunglasses, identify plastic panels on a car & spot green birds that where hidden in the leaves of a tree. One of it's original uses was by the armed forces - spotting camouflaged vehicles from the air.
                Compulsive photographic dabbler.

Comment

• Isac
                  Isac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All good info petrochemist. As I don't have an IR camera (and probably never will), I'm stuck with playing in PS for my IR enjoyment - and that in itself is quite a bit of fun and a challenge.

• petrochemist
                  petrochemist commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not all IR cameras are expensive, one of my SD14 bodies was free (it needed a battery), my compact DSC V1 (5mp with nighshot mode) was £15 but those are getting a bit long in the tooth. My other old DSLR a Pentax K100d cost me £125 10 years ago, and is sensitive enough to IR that I've managed to hand hold it for IR in Britain. it provided my intro to IR just with the aid of a Chinese filter.
                  I guess it can be a slippery slope so keeping off might be wise. At least I haven't tried buying a lens designed for UV (often many thousands of pounds)

• Isac
                  Isac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for that, I'll stick top PS
              Working...
              X