Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS North Carolina, Battleship, BB-55.

First time visiting this WW-II veteran.

The Ship is having the Mast restored. I'm glad to see it being preserved. My Daughter and I visited it while on Vacation a couple of weeks ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	L1023396.jpg Views:	0 Size:	346.3 KB ID:	488978 Click image for larger version  Name:	L1023421.jpg Views:	0 Size:	407.9 KB ID:	488979 Click image for larger version  Name:	L1023409.jpg Views:	0 Size:	348.2 KB ID:	488980 Click image for larger version  Name:	L1023394.jpg Views:	0 Size:	361.8 KB ID:	488981

Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton v1 at F4, O56 Nikon Orange filter, Leica M Monochrom camera. I've had this camera for almost 10 years now.

Link to the North Carolina Page added,

Comment

We are OPEN! We are OPEN while the ship's main mast is under repair.  As mast repairs are underway on the Battleship, access to some areas of the Ship is

Comment

Lucky you getting aboard for some great shots. I love the BW versions.
        I was fortunate enough to get a tour on the USS Bainbridge many years ago when she visited Fremantle. It was fascinating. My dad was on the HMAS Nepal as a radio operator during WW2 so I have a connection to the sea because of that. Not so much now - a bit old
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
        "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

G'day Brian

Firstly - Welcome Aboard mate ... it's beaut to see you here

I like the symmetry for #1 ... those 3 barrels pointing overhead is enough to make anyone think twice about taking on a aship such as this.
          As for the young lady ... you may need to advise her that she was "regimentally undressed" - her beautiful hair is beyond regulation length !!

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Isac View Post
            My dad was on the HMAS Nepal as a radio operator during WW2 so I have a connection to the sea because of that. Not so much now - a bit old
            My Dad was the Radio Operator/ Gunner onboard B-29s, operating out of Tinian. Went through Eleven B-29s.
            These were long missions, Dad would keep an eye out for Downed pilots and radio their position for Air Sea Rescue.

One mission- had Three engines shot out, a B29 would lose 500ft/minute flying on 1 engine.

By the time the B29 Ditched, Dad had contacted the USS Sunfish and it picked them up within an hour of splashing down.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	dad_sweater_girl_Small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.5 KB ID:	489109

This is a picture of one of Dad's B-29's that broke in half on Take-Off. The crew got out safely, then remembered they left the Beer in the Bomb Bay. They used to leave it there to get cold during the missions. "Blatz Beer". 40+ years ago I got a tour of a B-29 by some WW-2 crew members, pointed to a section of the bomb bay and said "That's where you keep the Beer". He laughed, and agreed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dad_Broken_plane_small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.5 KB ID:	489110 Click image for larger version  Name:	ship_sunfishgato22.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	489111

SO- our Dad's were on-the-air in the same section of the world.
            If you Dad ever heard some "Crazy Yank Flyboy" translate "douitashimashi te" as "Please don't step on my moustache" to antagonize the Japanese fighter pilots- that was my Dad.

Comment

Working...
            X