Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kidmans Family Butchers

Taken on our recent trip to Broken Hill/Silverton.

The Kidman Building
    This building started life as a butcher’s shop in Silverton’s very early days. The proprietor was Sackville Kidman, older brother of Sir Sydney Kidman who became known as the Cattle King.
    Sydney worked at the store as a fourteen year old, later gaining employment on local stations, where the seeds of one of Australia’s greatest cattle empires were planted.
    In the 1930’s, George and Elizabeth Crossing and A. Harding continued to trade as butchers, with the Kidman’s having moved their business into Broken Hill. The building then became a residence until about 1950, when it was used as a grain store. In the early 1980’s, after the filming of part of the TV series “A Town Like Alice” in Silverton, the shop became an Ice Cream Parlour and is still occasionally referred to as this today.
    In 2003, the Silverton Village Committee was successful in securing a grant from the NSW Heritage Office and the building, which had fallen into a state of disrepair, was restored. The building was used in an American TV series (The Leftovers) in recent years, where it was a post office.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kidmans Butchers.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	478917

My Gear

A nice shot and an interesting bit of history. I think the toning works very well here. To my eyes it has a bit of a tilt to the right.
    Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks like it is leaning to the right to me also Alan. I did use the "spirit level" in ACR to check before posting, but I will check it again.

Okay there was a slight tilt and it has now been corrected

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kidmans Butchers.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	478923
    My Gear

Comment

I like the post processing as well as the story attached. I was just there but didn't take that picture. Isn't it good we see different things. Did you visit the garden and photo gallery?
      Better a full bottle in front of me
      than a full frontal lobotomy.
      Hans

Comment

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the kind words Hans. We did not visit the garden, nor the photo gallery, but visited the art galleries.

Wonderful image John. I love the light sepia look and that fading vignette on the edges. Perhaps helped by a visit to cousin Nik?
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        Of course. Silver Efex.
    Working...
    X