Views:	83
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	507027

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240224_Fort_Lytton_0017.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	507024

5. One of the disappearing guns. A roof has been added to protect it, but originally the gun was lifted hydraulically, fired then dropped back down to reduce exposure to enemy fire. The mount was reconstructed from the original plans.

Name:	20240224_Fort_Lytton_0033.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	507025
    Alan W

My Gallery

Originally posted by wigz View Post
    5. One of the disappearing guns. A roof has been added to protect it, but originally the gun was lifted hydraulically, fired then dropped back down to reduce exposure to enemy fire. The mount was reconstructed from the original plans.
    They had one of those at Fort Nepean at the Port Phillip heads. From memory the theory was good but there were many disadvantages because of the lowering and raising mechanisim reducing the elevation ability of the gun (therefore the range) and also slowing down the firing rate.

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d wondered about drawbacks on these. Interesting technology though.

Built in 1881. Had to look it up as it looked interesting. Missed it when I visited Moreton Island as I wasn't aware it was there. It would probably do damage to moreton island. Great reminders of our past.
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      It is an interesting place but unimpressive from a distance as it is mostly concealed under embankments.

All favbulous shots Alan. Well worth the visit. I know it's just me but I always have issues when things don't line up or appear to be a bit out of plumb. You'd make my very happy if you did a bit of tweaking with #1 to get things squared up. Just me but those sort things have always bugged me a bit. It suppose it come from my engineering background.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Is this better Isac. Not perfect but I think it's better

Name:	20240224_Fort_Lytton_0023-Edit.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	507046
      Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm interested to know how you straightened things up in this one Alan. I have a simple trick in Photoshop for doing this stuff and it would be good to compare tricks.

• wigz
        wigz commented
        Editing a comment
        In ACR geometry correction, rotate, vertical, horizontal in that order, then fine tune. Complicated a bit as the walls slope in, and the floor and slab at the door don’t seem quite square.

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a play and just used the Transform "perspective" tool and dragged the left side upwards to +4°. That brought the step to perfect horizontal. Then dragged the bottom right corner (holding Ctrl/Cmd + Shift) out to 2°. Then just stretched the image a tad to match the door shape to the original. It's a really quick way to get things looking straight.

Being picky, I might have tried to get those rubbish bags out of view...But an interesting set, especially the hydraulic gun...

Comment

• wigz
        wigz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mark, I didn’t pay them much attention. They aren’t rubbish bags but are acting as door-stops I think.
    Working...
    X