Includes seascape, panorama and travel photography

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking Ormiston Gorge, west of Alice Springs

G'day all

At the moment we're in Alice Springs after having a week out west' ~ the weather has been kind, and my spirits have responded to the location

Ormiston Gorge is a wonderful place to visit - it's about 140km west of Alice and a great place to spend a day ... or 3
    Walks in & around the place are plentiful, best times are before 10am & after 3pm ~ great shadows and the light bouncing off one side of the gorge lights up the other face

here's a few images

1- the floor or the gorge as you first arrive - with the cliffs towering 75 - 100metres above you

exif= Panny G2, 1/320s x f5,6; 14-140 lens @ 14mm; iso-100

2- one of several large pools along the gorge - we're now about 1km up the gorge from pic #1

exif= Panny G2, 1/100s x f4,8; 14-140 lens @ 45mm; iso-500; WB = Shade

3- as you walk the gorge, the cliffs appear above you, along with the brilliant colours of sky & earth

exif= Panny G2, 1/320s x f7,1; 14-140 lens @ 30mm; iso-100

4- trees cling to the cliff-tops and often the cliff-faces

exif= Panny G2, 1/320s x f5,6; EV=-0,7; 14-140 lens @ 140mm; iso-100

5- one of many sights for sore eyes as you walk the gorge

exif= Panny G2, 1/320s x f5,6; EV+-0.7; 14-140 lens @ 140mm; iso-125

All images pp'd slightly with Levels & Curves

Hope you've enjoyed them
    Phil

Lovely!

Comment

Stunning colours and textures. #2 would be my pick. Another area on my bucket list

Comment

Thanks for your 'thanks'

Bucket lists can become quite long ... so don't leave it too long before you investigate the bucket

ps- the first time I visited Ormiston Gorge was back in 1968 with a couple of Melbourne Camera Club mates
        We had put together 2 yrs of annual hols to make 6-weeks, and in a holden station wagon we did a Melb to Cairns to Alice to Melb trip ... all in 6 weeks - and most of it those days on old dirt roads

When we got to Ormiston Gorge, the 3 of us were walking the gorge and shiacking to each other about things - until we got to this particular pool ~ as I said above, it's about 1km up from the tourist car park

I remember shouting to my mate "hey Barry - we could have a dip here" knowing that we were on our own 'miles from nowhere'
        A womans voice answered - "yes why don't you ~ we've just enjoyed our dip in the pool"
        Shikes I said to myself ~ who the hell is that?
        I looked into the shade and there were 2 oldies - and upon talking to them several things emerged

They had heard us coming for quite a while - so they could get dressed before we arrived
        She said that "she was married to his little brother ~ she was 88 and he was 92 - and his younger brother was back in the caravan cooking dinner"
        She also said that "the 3 of them had decided to see Australia before it was too late"

So ther's hope for you yet
        Phil

Comment

Great photos and great story
          Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Working...
          X