• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig's Hut

Constructed for a movie set and rebuilt twice after fires

Sony A7rii
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Great set Todd. The place was shrouded in cloud and fog when we visited a few years ago.
    I really like the shot along the fenceline.
    My Gear

Comment

Wonderful images Todd. The Man From Snowy River, a great Aussie movie.
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Thanks guys
        Sony A7rii

Comment

I love 1 & 4 , both great images. I think 2 & 3 could maybe improved on with some perspective correction.
          Cheers, Brad.

Comment

I'd love you to elaborate there Brad. What kind of perspective correction?
            Sony A7rii

Comment

• Ironwood
              Ironwood commented
              Editing a comment
              Todd, do you mind if I have a play with #2, and post my results ?

• Toddyh
              Toddyh commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure thing Brad, Play away.

• Ironwood
              Ironwood commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, will post my result soon.

Originally posted by Toddyh View Post
            I'd love you to elaborate there Brad. What kind of perspective correction?
            It’s probably just because of the wide angle lens Todd, on #2 the verticals are leaning in, and I think because the hut is all on the left side of the frame it looks a bit off-kilter to me. I have only viewed the images on my iPad screen, maybe on the big screen it looks different? ( I should have a look )
            #3 gives me the feeling that it needs to be tilted down on the left, maybe a better way to explain it is the horizon needs to tilt a bit to the left. This also is probably just because of the wide angle lens.
            They are wonderful images, and I feel like I am being overly picky here, as they are pretty minor things, but it’s what I would try if they were my images.
            Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• Toddyh
              Toddyh commented
              Editing a comment
              Perfect. Thanks Brad. I'll have a look at that.

Originally posted by Ironwood View Post

........................................ I think because the hut is all on the left side of the frame it looks a bit off-kilter to me. I have only viewed the images on my iPad screen, maybe on the big screen it looks different? ( I should have a look )
            #3 gives me the feeling that it needs to be tilted down on the left, maybe a better way to explain it is the horizon needs to tilt a bit to the left. This also is probably just because of the wide angle lens.
            They are wonderful images, and I feel like I am being overly picky here, as they are pretty minor things, but it’s what I would try if they were my images.
            I think that the path running off to the right creates a leading line that draws your eye to.............................. nothing, detracts just a tad. Like Brad stated, this is probably being picky and looking at the image in a technical sense, not an emotional sense.

I agree on #3 also, maybe use one of the veranda posts as a guide for the spirit level tool in PS.

Bugger you Brad for making me over analyse these lovely images, I was happy with them before your post
            Last edited by Grumpy John; 08-01-2019, 08:42 AM.
            My Gear

Comment

• Toddyh
              Toddyh commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks John. I'll re-visit these two.

• Ironwood
              Ironwood commented
              Editing a comment
              I get accused of being a perfectionist pretty regularly, my Wife gets annoyed with me when I’ll turn a 2 hour job into a 2 day job, because something just doesn’t look right to me.

• Grumpy John
              Grumpy John commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe clone out the path leading off to the right. I don't have the skills for such a large clone, but I know someone who does

Here is version of #2.
            Used the perspective tool in Affinity Photo to correct the perspective on the hut, and the clone tool in Apple Aperture to take out the path leading out of the frame, this could do with more work if it were to pass a closer scrutiny, but it will do for this quick edit.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Craigs hut (2).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	461661
            Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Nicely done Brad. A definite improvement.
              Sony A7rii

Comment

• Ironwood
                Ironwood commented
                Editing a comment
                Cheers Todd. I am a bit bored, so needed something to do.

And #3.
              All in Apple Aperture, used the roofline on the porch to level horizon, and a few tweaks with levels.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06223 (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	461664
              Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Well done on both edits Brad. Cloning out the footpath makes all the difference.
                My Gear

Comment

Thanks Brad. Now I'm interested in Affinity Photo.
                  Sony A7rii

Comment

• Isac
                    Isac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Digital Asset Management. Somewhere you can store and file manage your images. I prefer to do it manually with an easy system to locate images but others prefer to let software manage it, as Lightroom and some other editors seem to do.

• Grumpy John
                    Grumpy John commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So many acronyms, it's hard to keep track of them. Maybe I need an AMS.

• Ironwood
                    Ironwood commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would have assumed you would have used Lightroom Isac, being such a Photoshop Extraordinaire
                    So do you just use self managed folders ? I don’t think I could be that organised.

Good work everyone - lovely photos and some good editing going on here. Well one all who are joining in and offering their knowledge and skills. Ironwoods edit, removing the path was pretty cool.

I might chip in and suggest, not only to Ironwood, but all budding editors - that when cloning, try and source from different areas so as to avoid repeating areas close by, which becomes obvious. It's also a good practice to copy different areas to a new layer, then you can stretch, shrink, flip and/or distort small sections at a time and slide them into place to make that layer completely different from anything in the original layer. I'd love to get your thoughts on this, as it's just the way I do it. Cheers.
                  I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
                  "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• Ironwood
                    Ironwood commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have just used the basic clone tool in Aperture here, it is a fairly basic editor compared to many of the newer up to date ones, but I could have made it more natural looking with a bit more care admittedly.
                    Affinity Photo has layers but I hadn’t thought to explore it for more effective cloning. If it’s still raining tomorrow, I’ll check it out to see if I can do something along the lines you suggest. I am sure it will be a lot more capable than Aperture.

• Isac
                    Isac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cheers Ironwood. Affinity has a lot of Photoshop editing tools and is a pretty good substitute for all standard editing. Really easy to do cloning and the things I mentioned above so it would be good for you to have a play. I only use Photoshop which has everything I need, including most of what is offered in Lightroom.
                Working...
                X