No announcement yet.

Includes seascape, panorama and travel photography

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pandanas Palm

I tried to capture three elements here. The ruggedness of the cliff/shoreline, the Pandanas palm perched precariously atop the cliff, and the blue of the sea/sky. Not sure I succeeded.
    Shot at Fingal Head, near the N.S.W./Qld. border.
    Any comments and CC gratefully appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pandanas Palm.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	461561
    My Gear

My 1st thought on this was that would make a great jigsaw puzzle.
    So if this is what I am thinking then for me you have hit the nail on the head, and I really like what you have done here.
    And on a Footy note for this year watch the Demons I think these will be the sleepers.
    If we make it and its our teams at the end we might have to have a bet between us.
    But not like sheep stations that is.
    And I did mean to agree with what you said about last years winner being the Drugcoast Eagles.

Comment

Hi John, I find the shadows in the foreground a little off putting. I'm also not sure about the geometry of the image. A little crop off the bottom and a tiny crop off the top might improve it. Something like this

Sony A7rii
      https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with what you said about the shadows Todd, also the sky is too wishy washy on the LHS and the horizon. I don't generally like landscapes in portrait mode either, but I thought this one might just work. I have other images of this scene that I'll put up later

• Toddyh
        Toddyh commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree about the sky too John. At first I thought you had dust bunnies.
        Look forward to seeing alternate images.

I like having the rocks on the bottom of the image, I think Todd’s crop has gone too far. I tried scrolling the image down and using the bottom edge of the screen to crop a smaller portion of the rocks, I think this makes a stronger image.
      Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with you Brad, I like the ruggedness of the rocks, but I also see Todd's point about the shadows. Looks like a lesson on Dodge and Burn coming up.

An edit.

Name:	Pandanas Palm (edit).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	461602
      My Gear

Comment

• Toddyh
        Toddyh commented
        Editing a comment
        Little too much shadow lift there I think.

Geez, you guys are hard to please.

Name:	Pandanas Palm (edit #2).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	461606
      My Gear

Comment

• Toddyh
        Toddyh commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah being picky. Sorry John.
        The original was nicely exposed except for those shadows in the rocks. The light on some of the rocks was nice too. Catch 22 I guess.

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        No need to apologise Todd, It was a difficult exposure to get right. I don't know if you are familar with Fingal Head, but those rocks are quite dark and when wet are jet black.

I like the first image best and I think you achieved your objective. I don't mind the shadows on the rocks and the angle of the sunlight brings out the texture. The uneven sky bothers me a little - did you perhaps use a polarising filter on a wide angle lens, I've been caught by this a few times.
      Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        No CP filter attached Alan. The sun was setting to the left so that area is slightly overexposed.

Lovely image John and well spotted. Your plan to focus on the 3 elements came off pretty well IMHO. Only a couple of things:
      1: Do a shadows adjustment on the rocks using a mask in preference to D&B
      2: Level the horizon.
      3: Darken the sky on the right.
      All easy peasy mate.
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        Another project for another time