No announcement yet.

Includes seascape, panorama and travel photography

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some images from my recent cruise around uNZud

Just back from our 12 day cruise around NZ. Not much in the way of images to show unfortunately, between the tour guide pushing you to get back on the bus and people getting in the way it was a constant battle trying to get the time to compose a half decent shot. I'm the type of person that will walk away from a shot rather than take a photo that will end up being deleted.
    Some of these images are not landscape, seascape, or cityscape, but the do fall in to the category of travel.
    I really like the GPS feature on the 7DII as I'm always forgetting to write down where I was when I took the photo's, no problem now, just look at the EXIF data.

Stop #1 Auckland.
    We took a tour out to the Muriwai Gannet Colony.

#1 One of the rocky outcrops where the Gannets nest.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Auckland 07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	223.4 KB ID:	462348

#2 One of the thousands of Gannets that nest in the area.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Auckland 10.jpg Views:	1 Size:	195.4 KB ID:	462349

#3 Mum and her chick. Click image for larger version  Name:	Auckland 15.jpg Views:	1 Size:	226.7 KB ID:	462350

Stop #2 Tauranga. This time a trip out to the Geothermal Valley at Te Puia.

#4 We were treated to a traditional Maori celebration.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Tauranga 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	156.3 KB ID:	462351

#5 A traditional tattooist plying his trade. He was kind enough to let me get on his side of the barricade so I could get some decent shots. He explained to me that his totem is the eagle and his facial tattoo represents an eagle. The markings on his forehead represemnt the wings, the markings on his nose represent the eagles face and the markings on has cheeks and chin represent the eagles talons. Very interesting guy to talk to, very proud of his heritage.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Tauranga 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	146.8 KB ID:	462352

#6.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Tauranga 06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	136.5 KB ID:	462353

Stop #3 Napier. I was hoping to get some nice images of Art Deco buildings. Unfortunately most of the buildings are spoilt by having modern signage plastered all over them. This was a day with no tours so I was free to wander.

#7 The things you see when you wander off the tourist path,
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Napier 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	146.2 KB ID:	462354

Click image for larger version  Name:	Napier 15.jpg Views:	1 Size:	195.1 KB ID:	462355

#9 I really liked this white structure at the end of the jetty. Combined with the colour of the sea and the dark sand it was quite striking. I have pushed the sliders a bit more than usual on this edit,
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Napier 31.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.8 KB ID:	462356
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Sliders.jpg Views:	1 Size:	28.2 KB ID:	462357

Stop #4 Wellington, and a drive out to the seal coast. massove storms the night before prevented the 4WD Troopie from getting to the main colony.

#10 Up close and personal, from about 3 metres away.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Wellington 29.jpg Views:	1 Size:	162.9 KB ID:	462358

Stop #5 Akaroa. Another day without an organised tour, free to roam.

#11 I had to do a faux HDR on this image. The sky was so blown out and under the bridge was so dark that I had to make one image 2 stops under exposed and another image 2 stops over exposed and used Nik HDR Effex Pro 2 to combine them with the original image to create this image. I think I'm going to have to find a nice sky to use instead of the ugly grey sky I ended up with.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Akaroa 07_HDR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	218.2 KB ID:	462359

Click image for larger version  Name:	Akaroa 13.jpg Views:	1 Size:	292.1 KB ID:	462360

#13 A bit of fun with some stored dinghy's. I pushed the limits on this one too.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Akaroa 26.jpg Views:	1 Size:	165.6 KB ID:	462361
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Sliders 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	28.2 KB ID:	462362Click image for larger version  Name:	Saturation.jpg Views:	1 Size:	22.2 KB ID:	462363Click image for larger version  Name:	Luminance.jpg Views:	1 Size:	20.6 KB ID:	462364

#14 A contender for the Empty Seats thread.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Akaroa 33.jpg Views:	1 Size:	300.4 KB ID:	462365

Click image for larger version  Name:	Akaroa 37.jpg Views:	1 Size:	298.1 KB ID:	462366
    Last edited by Grumpy John; 01-02-2019, 12:16 PM.
    My Gear

Great set John. So much to comment on that I'll have to do later but for now I'm loving the mum and her chick and the white jetty.
    Sony A7rii
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

A great variety of shots there John. The white structure on the jetty is my favourite of these: the strong shapes and vibrant colours work really well. I also like the Gannet and chick and dinghies.

Sequential numbering from start to finish would be easier to reference.
      Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        I can easily renumber the images if you think it would make it easier for people to comment.

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        All images renumbered for ease of identification.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the jetty image guys. I thought that I may have pushed things a bit far re saturation of the colours. I was using my new Hoye Pro Digital CP filter on most of my images you see in this post. It really worked well for the jetty shot.
      My Gear

Comment

All lovely images John. The jetty is a standout! The CPL is a great filter and I guess it shows in these images. I couldn't resist popping in a new sky for this one, really easy to do.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	NZ-1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	462399
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
        "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• Grumpy John
          Grumpy John commented
          Editing a comment
          Well done Isac, it suits the scene perfectly.

Thanks for the tour, John - very impressive lot. I'm with Wigz - the jetty and the dinghies really caught my eye. And with your luck, I reckon you were there to take #7 on a Monday or Tuesday

Cheers, Gary

Comment

• Grumpy John
          Grumpy John commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Gary, actually it was on a Wednesday, but well before 7:00 PM

• Ironwood
          Ironwood commented
          Editing a comment
          Didn't they have a seat out the front for you to sit and wait. or you could have borrowed that bike in #8 and gone back later

Agree with the chorus, #9 is a stunner.
        They are all an enjoyable mix, you should be happy with them all.
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Working...
        X